Turtle questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZcarFR-S

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just got a 20g long tank to move my baby yellow belly cooters into. I would like to add 1 or 2 hardy fish in there any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm assuming you plan on housing the cooters in something larger when they get older so you could probably grab some guppies or the like.

Depending on how long you are having the cooters in the 20 long, you could have a few small comets. This is only if the next tank is large enough.

Oh the next tank for the turtles is a water land large enclosure

If you plan on moving them into that soon, you could pull off a goldfish or two. Keep an eye on the params and do water changes twice a week of like 30-50%.

Or, you can wait and then add fish when you have the waterland.

Alrighty. Wait what is your water temp for the cooters? It would help in aiding aid you.

They are pretty fast and should be big enough that the babies don't eat them... approach with caution.

Probably safe, just be careful. :)

Well my turtles didn't mess with my other fish I removed then because the tank was way to small for fish and turtles. I only want a couple of fish to liven the tank up more and they will be put in the 55g when the turtles get to big

Sorry man, was somewhere over labor day weekend.

Platies would work well.

Best of luck my friend. Tell me if you need anything else or have any other questions. :)

Word of advice turtles and fish don't mix

It's very stressful for the fish as turtles eat fish

To give you some idea of what it must feel like would you like to be locked in a room with a man eating tiger

I have some comet goldfish in my pond with a cooter turtle and she doesn't mess with them at all. They are around 4-5" and she's at about a 12" shell. There's even a dozen or so goldfish fry in there right now. It's probably a fluke, though, I know my yellow belly would go after anything small and moving in the tank.

I have some comet goldfish in my pond with a cooter turtle and she doesn't mess with them at all. They are around 4-5" and she's at about a 12" shell. There's even a dozen or so goldfish fry in there right now. It's probably a fluke, though, I know my yellow belly would go after anything small and moving in the tank.

Unless your pond is a 20 gal like the op tank I think it's a totally different case don't you

I didn't say they were the same, was just giving my experience with my cooter turtle. The turtle pond is probably around 75 or 90 gallons, but it's small enough to where the cooter could get the goldfish if she wanted to, but I've not even seen her go after them. It might have to do with her being older and eating more vegetation than anything like a lot of water turtles tend to do.

They managed to knock over and eat most of my potted pond plants including purple madras rice, dwarf papyrus, black magic taro, and a few others.

Back
Top Bottom