turtle shell issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J2ky2k

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Wife had been wanting a 20 gallon long tank for a turtle or a crab. Found one on cgraiglist that just so happenend to come with a Mississippi map turtle. Turtle seems very healthy except for areas of the shell that are turning whitish, not soft at all, but some very slight peeling. Im not sure, but I dont think there was any area for it to get out of the water and dry off. have only had it a few weeks, but i think there is improvement. We have some treatment for its skin and shell to treat weekly, just wondering if there may be something we're missing. any help?

IMG_0259[1].jpg

I know absolutely nothing about turtles! But I hate to see a (previously) neglected animal post get buried in a forum thread!

Come on turtle lovers!!! Help!! :)

Also try the Tortoise Forum, lots of knowledgeable people & they have an aquarium section, too.

Could be shell rot- make sure he has a basking area to get completely dry, nutritious food, a cuttle bone to chew on, and UVB lighting so he can heal himself :)
Im sure you probably know this, but a 20 long is far from a suitable size for any turtle- a 55 or bigger is best. They are very active and very messy!
Good luck!

Yes I'm aware the tank is too small, just picked up a 55 gallon this week, getting it ready and gonna move turtle and blue lobster to it soon

Back
Top Bottom