Turtles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A friend of a friend has two aquatic turtles who are apparently in an awful, inadequate setup. This is all I know. As soon as I know what kind of turtles they are, I'll update this. I just need help with figuring out how to help the poor turtles.
Since there are two, I know they'll need a pretty big tank, but that will depend on what kind they are and how big they get. Does anyone know of good turtle tank kits I could recommend?
I'm really more of a fish person, but my friend is very worried about her friend's turtles, and I wanted to help her out.

Chances are that you can't get them to buy a bigger tank for them. if they don't care about them, they'll probably continue not to care. I'd say get a 40 breeder for indoors, but turtles belong outside, better in a pond.

My friend says they seem open to it... but I doubt they'll get a pond. We can probably convince them to get a bigger tank. If not, they'll find themselves on the receiving end of a lecture from an avid animal lover.
I found a 40 gallon turtle tank kit, would that work?
Also, is there anything not included that they would need to buy?
Zoo Med™ 40 Gallon Turtle Aquatic Kit | reptile Terrariums | PetSmart

Well... they're 7" red eared sliders that will only keep growing. :(
I tried to tell them about stock tanks or ponds, but I think I'll only be able to convince them to get a big aquarium. What size would you guys recommended? I've been saying 150 based on research but they don't like that idea.

Ive seen some of those red eared sliders when I lived in NC they were as big as man hole covers swimming with the gators , there grow rate is about a inch a year , they belong in a outside pond ,

I'll tell that to my friend's friend. If they don't listen, they should not be trying to care for animals they don't want to spend the money to care for. I could ask at my work if they could live in the gorgeous new pond we just built. They'd be happy there, it's huge with plenty of basking rocks and logs, and a wonderful filtration system too. We have plenty more ponds they could go in (and we used to have turtles in the flamingo pond, they loved eating the krill). I don't know about putting them in the koi pond by the lemurs or in the pond in the aviary. I'm just thinking the new one would be the best as it's empty and has the most basking spots, but I could ask my boss.
Personally, it is really difficult for me when I see people who buy animals, especially turtles and tortoises, when they are little and don't realize how big they get. Where I volunteer, we have more Sulcata tortoises than I can count, all rescues. They start out as cute little babies that you can hold in your hand, but grow to easily over a hundred pounds. They live for around a century and are the world's third largest tortoise. People don't do research, and when they get too big they dump them on the side of the road. We have one poor tortoise who was hit by a car and had to have his shell patched up.
So yeah, I hate to be the "bad guy" and tell them they aren't caring for their animals, but if they aren't prepared and willing to give them proper care they don't deserve to own them.

Back
Top Bottom