Turtles are running away!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lomeli562

Aquarium Advice Activist
So as strange as this sounds my red eared sliders keep running away! I had 5 about two months ago and now i only have two. My two adult females ran off im assuming to find nesting areas and a juvenile female ran off while i was cleaning the pond. Any idea what i can do to keep the ones i have left in place? They are in a 200 gal pond with a few goldfish parameters are normal with a slight issue with green water. Please help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not sure how to explain this, because I've only ever heard about it, but I believe turtles have a sort of homing instinct. For example if you were to grab a wild caught one off the side of the road, they're going to try and find their way back to whatever pond or lake they came from.

Hmmm ao theyre just trying to find where they hatched?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long did you have them for? It's possible they just went off to nest. If they lived most of their life with a previous owner they could also try going there. I don't know enough about the subject to say for sure.

Its quite possibly similar to sea turtles; they may be trying to find their nesting grounds. Lots of animals do it. And, as said before, if you haven't had them for too long, they might just ditch you to go back to their old home.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom