Water in tank cloudy even after full change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

learnmorehere

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone.
I have a turtle in a 55 gallon using a Fluval 306 filter system. I recently changed all the filters and changed the water in the tank. After 5 days, the water was a very cloudy white, almost like fog. I changed the water because it was getting a little cloudy but I could tell it was bacteria related as it was a green tinge. Anyway, I rinsed off all the filters again (there was some gunk already), and changed the water. It's only been a day and I can tell the water is getting white cloudy again.

There a problem with my filter? Any help is really appreciated.

No there is no problem. The only problem i read is that you need to stop cleaning your filter. Your filter SHOULD be dirty, i never clean my filters more than every 3 months unless blocked or restrictes. The white filter floss can be cleaned whenever you want but dont touch the bio rings. Never clean the filter all in one go either as you'll kill all the good bacteria that colonize the filter that are used to brake down the waste. Your filter needs to be dirty, aged and established to do the task it was made for which is taking out the ammonia produced by your creatures in the tank.

The cloudy water is the bacteria multiplying and will clear up by itself in time, change water by all means but if the filter new i wouldnt even touch it for at least 2 months.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply. i was just confused because it got so cloudy so quick and it was white. It was actually closer to 6 months since i changed everything so it really needed to get done. and the second time i just rinsed everything.

Turtles are incredibly messy. I wouldn't wait 3 months between filter cleanings.

No there is no problem. The only problem i read is that you need to stop cleaning your filter. Your filter SHOULD be dirty, i never clean my filters more than every 3 months unless blocked or restrictes. The white filter floss can be cleaned whenever you want but dont touch the bio rings. Never clean the filter all in one go either as you'll kill all the good bacteria that colonize the filter that are used to brake down the waste. Your filter needs to be dirty, aged and established to do the task it was made for which is taking out the ammonia produced by your creatures in the tank. The cloudy water is the bacteria multiplying and will clear up by itself in time, change water by all means but if the filter new i wouldnt even touch it for at least 2 months.

Well I've used my canister filter for about a month now, I'm not going to clean it but I had the take out the carbon media to cure my ick, the problem was is the bio balls are above the carbon, is it okay if they are exposed to air for less than 15 seconds?

Turtles are incredibly messy. I wouldn't wait 3 months between filter cleanings.

mana is right, I would hold off alittle though and only clean the visibly dirty parts like the prefilter and first sponges if its blocked but i wouldnt go too deep inside with it being a brand new filter. Unless like i said before it's restricted or blocked. Shes right though turtles are obviously dirtier than fish and for some reason i didnt think about that part, i have 0 experience with turtles.

Last edited:
Well I've used my canister filter for about a month now, I'm not going to clean it but I had the take out the carbon media to cure my ick, the problem was is the bio balls are above the carbon, is it okay if they are exposed to air for less than 15 seconds?

Yes, thats more than ok.

mana is right, I would hold off alittle though and only clean the visibly dirty parts like the prefilter and first sponges if its blocked but i wouldnt go too deep inside with it being a brand new filter. Unless like i said before it's restricted or blocked. Shes right though turtles are obviously dirtier than fish and for some reason i didnt think about that part, i have 0 experience with turtles.

I used to work in an adult day program, and while I was trying to get a tank together for the clients there, we received a donation of 2 turtles. The best I could get my work to do for them was a 55 gallon. Every time I cleaned that tank I just couldn't believe how disgusting the filter was. I'm not very knowledgeable about turtles because I just sort of had to hit the ground running with that setup, but yeah WOW. Turtles are cool, but not something I probably want to try again, lol. :)

The answer to your question is probably the water conditioner, I've always gotten cloudy tanks when I put too much in.

I used to work in an adult day program, and while I was trying to get a tank together for the clients there, we received a donation of 2 turtles. The best I could get my work to do for them was a 55 gallon. Every time I cleaned that tank I just couldn't believe how disgusting the filter was. I'm not very knowledgeable about turtles because I just sort of had to hit the ground running with that setup, but yeah WOW. Turtles are cool, but not something I probably want to try again, lol. :)

I imagine they kick out a nice stinky pong aswell.

Back
Top Bottom