Water params

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jham9980

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I checked my ammonia level after feeding my fish, (which I probably shouldn't have done), and my reading was between .5 and 1 ppm. Should I have waited a couple of hours after feeding the fish to check ammonia? And should I wait to do a water change to bring it down?

Btw...I upgraded my aquarium from a 10g to a 20g last night...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your Tank

So I checked my ammonia level after feeding my fish, (which I probably shouldn't have done), and my reading was between .5 and 1 ppm. Should I have waited a couple of hours after feeding the fish to check ammonia? And should I wait to do a water change to bring it down?

Btw...I upgraded my aquarium from a 10g to a 20g last night...

Hello J...

If you have a trace of ammonia in the tank water, you must do a water change to remove this toxin.

I have a small, 20 G tank and remove and replace half the water every week. If you do this and feed just a little every couple of days, your fish will be fine.

B

upgrading I assume you moved all the gravel and filter media to the new set-up, correct.
The timing of feeding and testing have little to do with one another. you most likely are getting a small ammonia reading because you disturbed everything and it just needs a couple of days to settle down. It's a "mini-cycle" and nothing to be overly concerned with.

You should do about a 25% water change now to be on the safe side, but you DO NOT have to adopt a regime of changing out 50% to maintain a healthy tank.
15%-25% weekly will suffice.

Thanks guys!!!

Back
Top Bottom