What equipment is needed for a turtle tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know I'm not giving you simple answers but the fact of the matter is turtles are not simple start up pets lol. Once you have everything in place then taking care of them is a breeze but its the initial investment that causes the strain. Here's a link to some great info about slider turtles. I know you haven't mentioned what turtle you'll get but it's great across the board information http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

If you live somewhere relatively warm year-round and have a back yard, you might want to opt for a terrestrial turtle like a box or tortoise. Either that or install a pond, since most turtles end up too big for the average home aquarium (15-20 gallons just will NOT cut it after the first year of growth)

If you live somewhere relatively warm year-round and have a back yard, you might want to opt for a terrestrial turtle like a box or tortoise. Either that or install a pond, since most turtles end up too big for the average home aquarium (15-20 gallons just will NOT cut it after the first year of growth)

The OP is getting this as a gift, like a starter kit. I just hope the receiver is going to follow up on future care. Idt a pond is economical lol although awesome. Mud and maps stay small so they are good choices

The turtles will need 10 gallons of water PER inch length of turtle! The filter is needed, foggy or dirty water will cause sickness to the turtle, clean healthy turtles will not get salmonella or sick! The basking area must be 90 degrees, as the water temperature 75-85 average. UVB light is IMPORTANT for a growing/ANy turtle! ^o^ people will illegally sell baby turtles 4" and smaller (as Coursair said) so DON'T purchase any terrapin under 4 inches!!! You can be gifted them for free, but don't purchase.
The diet is very important for the turtle as well, cabbage and spinach are NOT to be fed to water turtles! But romaine lettuce and carrot/apple chunks are delicious!
As for the tank, if you like to have fish, beautiful pet fish sharing a tank with a turtle, bye bye fish! Turtles love to chase and eat those delicious colorful snacks. Feeder goldfish and little shrimp can be quite yummy! Reptomin is a very good brand of turtle food, you can also buy turtle treats! And if you're going to have a turtle with little kids, make sure they are gentle and wash their hands after handling it! Kids may want to paint the turtle shells for fun, but paint will stop absorption of UVB and UVA light for the turtle. Paint will also trap bacteria on the shell.
For a happy healthy turtle, it MAY be expensive! A $10 baby at the swap meet will end up a few hundred, if you want it to live long, healthy, and happy! ^o^

Salmonella!!?
What the..
I don't want them now.
Is this true? If so how common?

Salmonella is only caused by a turtle when the tank gets extremely dirty, cloudy. The turtle pees/poos in the tank, a turtle filter (not a fish filter!) will help keep that water clean! If the tank is constantly kept clean, then no worries for salmonella. It is also best to have a separate "feeding tank," since feeding the turtle can be quite messy! Even with a clean tank, still good idea to wash your hands! We wash our hands after cleaning up after the doggy accident on the carpet, right? ^o^
A small tank, or a bowl even, enough room to spin around, feed the turtle enough food to consume in a 15 minute period, possibly 3 times a week. Every few days, or a little amount each day.
Feeding tanks will save your filters and cleanliness of the home tank! ^o^

When you're a first time turtle owner, and you find out the important information about homing a turtle correctly you may think, " Oh my.....I can't do this!" But after a short while, it gets easier and easier! Having a clean friendly pet is worth it in the end!

Back
Top Bottom