What live plants would my African dwarf frog like best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squiffy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm planning a substrate change within the next few weeks and want to switch out my fake plants for real ones. Which plants would my frog and snails love most.

10g tank:
2 mystery snails
1 African dwarf frog (going to get him a buddy soon)
5 danios

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would say to try any that will fit the water parameters. I especially appreciated the easily obtainable sword plant.

Mine like anything that is a little taller to hide in or hang out on. Or anything that grow thick they can hide in. I have wisteria floating and they love to hang out in it. They try to go under my moss balls, lol but that doesn't work out well for them as the balls just roll off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just wanted to add a suggestion, get water sprite and let it float. I recently got some and replaced my wisteria with it. My frogs were destroying the wisteria as it breaks apart easily. The sprite is much more sturdy and my frogs absolutely LOVE it. They hang out in it all the time, noses at the surface. Its really a beautiful plant and cause it feeds of nutrients in water, my tank is super clear and clean.

Whats it look like sprite

Sent from my LGLS740 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

African dwarf frogs LOVE anubias. There is one in my frogs tank, and I find her on or under it all the time.

My liked the floating hornwort but I don`t have the proper lighting to sustain live plants for now so I had to get rid of the hornwort. They hide under and in it and use it to hold themselves near the surface of the tank.

Whats it look like sprite

Sent from my LGLS740 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't have a good pic of mine from before, and atm it doesn't look as good cause I had to dramatically trim it back.

How did your hornwort stay together? My frogs just destroyed it when I had some. Honestly I think they like any plant they can hide in or hang on, especially if it helps them lazily chill near the surface. They really aren't plant picky.

How did your hornwort stay together? My frogs just destroyed it when I had some. Honestly I think they like any plant they can hide in or hang on, especially if it helps them lazily chill near the surface. They really aren't plant picky.

Not very well but it`s the first live plant I ever had, it lost a lot of needles and made a mess and about 80% or more died within 2-3 weeks so I just got rid of it until I can afford the proper lighting for live plants which I believe was the problem. But yes the frog liked to use it to hang out near the surface, they also like to use the filter intake tube which is easy for them to hang off of because I wrap mesh around it to avoid the frogs legs getting sucked in and they also like to use the mystery snails to hold themselves up.

When you decide to get plants again, I wouldn't recommend the hornwort. Your frogs were a big part of it losing needles and stuff. Its just too fragile for the clumsy oafs, lol. Go with something a bit sturdier. There are alot of low light plants you could try without buying new lighting. Try sprite or anacharis floating, that way its closer to the light. I keep my sprite hooked onto a suction cup hook just so it doesn't just free float.

When you decide to get plants again, I wouldn't recommend the hornwort. Your frogs were a big part of it losing needles and stuff. Its just too fragile for the clumsy oafs, lol. Go with something a bit sturdier. There are alot of low light plants you could try without buying new lighting. Try sprite or anacharis floating, that way its closer to the light. I keep my sprite hooked onto a suction cup hook just so it doesn't just free float.

Ok thank you. I was looking for another floating plant for that frogs that didn't have needles and I have asked all of the local stores and also the stores in the two major cities nearest me and they are all telling me that they usually don't get anything floating except hornwort until spring or summer for some reason so I guess I will wait.

Anacharis can be planted or floating, same as sprite. Wisteria is another but its also a bit fragile. I had 7 frogs at the time with the wisteria and they destroyed it. Plants and active frogs take patience, lol. Newly planted get uprooted alot until roots take hold. If you want something that roots fast or grows quick, of all the different ones I have, the anacharis has exploded in very short time.

I have pots of Brazilian Pennywort, Dark Red Ludwigia and Java moss in my ADF female tank. I started with these to see what plants would hold up to frogs diving down into them and so far the plants have done well. I get a few floating leaves here and there but no broken stems.

After Ohio thaws out and we start having done normal temps that won't threaten plant life during delivery I want to order frog it and water lettuce to float in their tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Be careful with the frogbit. It can take over a tank and be extremely hard to get rid of. Idk anything about lettuce.

Back
Top Bottom