What's your turtle like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannon02

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I'm looking into and thinking about getting a turtle. I wanted an aquatic turtle but I would get one that isn't if you recommend it. I don't really care whether they interact or not. I think they're beautiful and would love to care for one. I'm very mature even though I'm young. Price isn't a huge problem, but size is. I don't want something enormous. Also, are they animals you should keep outside? If so, I'm not very interested in that. Anywho, if you could just tell me about your turtles personality and your caring techniques. I'd love to hear and get an idea. Thank you. :)

I have a turtle his name is turtle turtle Johnny he is a stinkpot musk turtle. I really don't do a lot with him at all as far as playing and stuff. He does like to get out of the tank and jump and make a big splash in the water over and over again till he notices us watching then he just stares back lol.

I made walls so he couldn't climb out and fall on the floor and made a basking spot for him out of the water. He never basks all the way.out of the water. I think he just likes using it as a diving board. I also run uvb bulbs made for aquatic turtles. Those are the basic things that all turtles have to have if kept inside.

Well i have 2 Ouachita Map turtles and they are really great and stay pretty small. Go to turtlesource.com that's a great site with great service and they take really good care of the turtles imo.

ForumRunner_20130321_230645.jpg

ForumRunner_20130321_230514.jpg

I have a common red ear slider. He stays in his bed till the lights come on. Then he finds a current to swim in till lunchtime. Waits till I leave for work to bask. When my wife gets home he panics, slides, peeks his head thru all the frogbit and water lettuce I keep for him, and snacks on it. He's already in bed when I get home from work. I tuck him in and turn the lights off.

image-1490933360.jpg

My turtle

I just bought a musk turtle and will post some pictures soon - he's in a decent tank at the moment but a large one I'm in the middle of building it up. Any advice would be brilliant if anyone has any - I'm just going to:

• Half fill the tank - it's 3ft long so should be plenty of room for him
  • Temperature 25c with thermostat
  • Few rough rocks on the bottom if he sheds and wants to rub off
  • Floating island so he can get out (he never gets out which is a bit concerning)
  • UV light and a day light
  • Good filter in the tank

That's as much as I know about turtles anyway - I'll post pics if anyones interested in seeing or offering me advice - only had him for 5 days so far!

Garry :)

I just bought a musk turtle and will post some pictures soon - he's in a decent tank at the moment but a large one I'm in the middle of building it up. Any advice would be brilliant if anyone has any - I'm just going to:

[*]Half fill the tank - it's 3ft long so should be plenty of room for him
[*]Temperature 25c with thermostat
[*]Few rough rocks on the bottom if he sheds and wants to rub off
[*]Floating island so he can get out (he never gets out which is a bit concerning)
[*]UV light and a day light
[*]Good filter in the tank

That's as much as I know about turtles anyway - I'll post pics if anyones interested in seeing or offering me advice - only had him for 5 days so far!

Garry :)

Welcome to AA! Turtles don't shed but leaving the rocks in won't hurt. They will keep it stimulated. Remember these guys are messy and a clean tank will ensure a happy turtle.

They do shed a bit but it tends to be more a husbandry issue. excess shedding is due to overfeeding and/or overheating, high nitrate, fungal infections, or nutrient deficiencies.

What about risk to humans through disease? Aren't turtles "dirty"? I love turtles and have tattoo of sea turtles

What about risk to humans through disease? Aren't turtles "dirty"? I love turtles and have tattoo of sea turtles

Wash your hands. Now that I think about it, I've never seen my turtle poo. I change the tank water out every 7-10 days and clean the canister twice a month. The fish in the tank look healthy and happy. I've seen some store tanks that look like mud holes which is sad.

I would recommend an East African Sideneck turtle I rescued one about a year ago and is by far my favorite aquatic turtle. They don't get very big I think around 6" full grown and don't need deep water (depth should be 1.5x there size). And mine is very friendly he has even escaped his tank a couple times and will walk right up to me while im on my couch and try climbing up my leg!! not sure if all are like this but he loves attention also he will fall asleep with his head and legs all the way out while you hold him in your palm

I had a turtle growing up, they live a very long time! My turtle loved to go for walks around the house and outside. He had a favorite spot in the front yard under a big tree! I don't remember what type he was, I want to say red ear...? He had the red stripe on the sides of his head. We would give him a "bath" after his walks before going in the tank and he hated that, would hiss at us. Lol. He had a lot of personality! Very fun pet.

I have two male Mississippi Map turtles. They are smallest next to musk turtles in adult size compared to all other turtles if male. They cost me $20 each. I feed them reptomin pellets, dried shrimp and snails, live crickets-sometimes coated in calcium powder, and blanced zucchini. Always feed in separate tank for less cleaning maintenance. Use good filtration and water movement, always have a uvb light and a basking light. I use a 60w incandescent bulb for basking. They can live with fish if introduced at hatching age, but keep in mind they go after everything, best not to mix with pricey fish and plants.

Back
Top Bottom