Wy Renegade's 30gal Paludarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
After getting some input and doing a fair amount of research, I've started putting together what I hope will be an excellent home for my pair of Wyoming Tiger Salamanders. I've had them for about 2 years now, and their current home is a getto tank created from an old motor home bath tub. It is way too big, and the whole thing is ugly as sin, so it has to go. Based on my research, it appears that the salamanders should have a predominately terrestrial environment, but since I've been wanting to try another paludarium style tank, it seemed like the perfect opportunity. Unlike the bog, I'm going for looks rather than native in this one, so it will be a evolving mix of terrestrial and aquatic species. The goal is a low humidity/low tech paludarium which will be unheated.

Tank:
The tank is a standard 30gal AGA aquarium (36"x12"x18"). Since my goal is a riparium setting, the tank will be only about 1/3 full of water, so I drilled the tank for two bulkheads.

Equipment:
Filter: ZooMed 501 canister filter
Lighting: Aqueon strip light w/ standard aquarium bulb and an Aqueon twin tube strip light w/ one standard aquarium bulb and one Floraxam plant bulb
Top: standard Zilla center-hinged screen top

Scape:
The tanks scape will be created using a combination of silicone, Great Stuff Pond Foam, River rock, and cottonwood driftwood.

Substrate:
Aquatic: predominately Ion Brick plant gravel, with a few pockets of aragonite sand to help maintain a higher pH.
Terrestrial; potting soil covered with cottonwood leaves and dried spagnum moss

Fauna:
Invertes: daphnia, freshwater mussels, hydra, planaria, rotifers, scuds, tubifex worms to start, additional varieties will be added as they are aquired

Vertebrates:
Western Chorus frogs x2
Fish will most likely be some type of shiner (possibly Emerald shiners) if I can get my hands on some.

Flora:
Emergent: Forget-Me-Nots and Mint to start, will add others as I get a chance
Floating: Duckweed to start, hope to add some type of lily as well
Submergent: hornwort, maybe some bladderwort if I can find some
Terrestrial: bonsai plant, moss, native fern, going to try some different orchids, mainly minitures and a lady slipper to start

Set-up:
Started out by drilling the tank with a bit from gl@ss-holes.com. I drilled two holes, one slightly lower for the overflow and one a little higher for the return. Basically my intent is a closed loop system with the ZooMed canister driving the closed loop. The following day was beautiful so I hiked a few riparian areas looking for some driftwood for the tank, came up with several very nice cottonwood pieces. To create the scape, I placed a few stones, used permanant marker to mark their position and layed down a thin layer of black GE Type II 100% silicone. Once it started to harden, I added the foam and placed my first layer of rock. As the foam hardened I worked my way up, bracing the various stones in place. Once the foam had hardened over night I recoated the edges with the black silicone as my goal is a 100% water tight boundary. Once the silicone begins to skin, I'll add some black aquarium sand to texture it. Then its on to the first water test. Hope to paint the back of the tank black as well to offset the color/texture of the various plants.

So since I know everyone likes photos, here are a few shots of the build getting underway.

The scape begins;
img_1785060_0_06d0b5e72523013f00ce94cd4234bd5f.jpg

The left side, which will be one of the aragonite holding areas;
img_1785060_1_5a45dbfd162959d677dbf44f1b946505.jpg

The retaining wall/boundary on the right side;
img_1785060_2_68deb11b56df46c5ec8e140e52d14fcb.jpg

The cottonwood driftwood piece which will become a cave for the salamanders. I've already done some modifying with my skill saw, but appears I have a little more to do;
img_1785060_3_45d2001b250f8e209902d50be92011a2.jpg

A piece of cottonwood bark which I hope to incorperate to provide a spot for mounting some miniture orchids;
img_1785060_4_3edf671dc1d5eba6f5b1ef468f6242d9.jpg

And a piece of Ponderosa pine that was removed from one of my terrariums that maybe will get added as well;
img_1785060_5_5cb3fa257dc12954320ee5496de69208.jpg

This is my first fully scaped attempt, and I'm open to any and all suggestions on design, fauna, flora, ect, so feel free to jump in and give suggestions or pointers.

Last edited:
Sanding and Leak Testing

Got some time early this afternoon to go ahead and throw some sand on the silicone;

img_1785752_0_39bdc0364e678e5bba30f45cee9503b6.jpg

img_1785752_1_1bfe98b9e755e5bf4e73afab26998b16.jpg

Also got a chance to leak test - WAHOO! So far so good - can't go all the way yet, cause I still need to get the second bulkhead in and get both of them sealed up;

img_1785752_2_e12a4d94e360edb420c5e26a946fab7c.jpg

Pretty stoked that I got it first try!

Tomorrow I will probably try and get some of the excess foam removed, seal up the bulkheads and hook up the pump. May even run it to make sure its going to work like I want. Then I'll have drain it down and wait on the rest of the substrate.

Also may start filling in some of the terrestrial area, once I'm sure that the retaining wall is 100% water-tight.

Last edited:
Bulkheads are installed and leak proof - had to make a couple adjustments along the way. Pump works like a charm, creating a nice ripple effect at the top of the water. Overall water level is a little lower than I wanted because of the gap between the top two rocks, so I'll be siliconing in another small rock between the two which should gain me about an inch of water level. I did find when I was able to fill it all the way up that I did have a leak, so I have some holes to plug to get everything water-tight. Redrained and waiting for it to dry out so I can seal holes and add the rock.

Pump is a bit loud on start-up, but quiets down nicely once it gets going. Overall volume of water is about 5 to 6 gallons - and the pump moves about 70 gallons of water per hour. So the turnover should be pretty good. Overall movement isn't quite as much as I'd hoped for however, so I may have to look at some other fish options. Anybody have thoughts on a type that does well at room temperature - maybe White Mountain minnows?

Anybody know anything about ripple tubes? I've seen some people saying they work great and others saying they don't work at all. Curious if anybody has any thoughts.

Terrestrial side should begin going together this afternoon, although I can't really add any dirt till the wall is 100% water-tight, so that will slow me up a little.

I'm figuring on a base of small rock, covered with a sheet of landscape fabric with potting soil on top. I'm still torn between the potting soil or a sand/peatmoss mix as that might allow for incorperation of some carnivours plants. With the salamanders being such diggers though, I'm leaning more heavily toward the potting soil. I'll also be burying a clay pot which will later be filled with bark and provide a spot for the Lady Slipper orchid. I hope to get the terrestrial part covered in moss, anybody have suggestions on type?

Well I didn't get a chance to work on the terrestrial scape this afternoon. Didn't get have a chance to finish sealing the wall though, so its going to have to wait a bit.

Been working a bit with this aquascaping article that Mumma.of.two was kind enough to post a link to;
Aquascaping Principles

Also came across this list of riparium plants listed by hydrophyte on another site;
Here are some quick suggestions...

HOUSEPLANTS

• Spathiphyllum, many differen hybrid varieites, choose smaller plants for a 10-gallon tank
  • Pilea, especially P. cardierei and P. mollis 'Moon Valley'
  • Fittonia
  • Syngonium, some varieties work better than others

AQUARIUM PLANTS

• Echinodorus cordifolius
  • various Hygrophila
  • Bacopa monnieri
  • various other stem plants, e.g., Limnophila

POND PLANTS

• Cyperus, especially C. 'Baby Tut' and C. alternifolius var gracilis
  • Acorus gramineus, but be careful because insect pests destroy it
  • Colocasia fallax
  • Ruellia brittoniana
  • Asclepias currasivarica
Severum mama has also suggested some plants, so I'll be looking though some different varieties.

Jeta was also kind enough to hook me up with a list of some other fish that may work better, so I'll be checking those out as well.

Sounds cool! I will be following.

Also, I was just wondering...do Tiger Salamanders carry salmonella? Thanks!

Sounds cool! I will be following.

Also, I was just wondering...do Tiger Salamanders carry salmonella? Thanks!

Thanks for joining us, and to answer your question, yes they can carry salmonella. I keep handling by students to a minimum and always make them wash their hands with soap and water after they do.

Thanks for joining us, and to answer your question, yes they can carry salmonella. I keep handling by students to a minimum and always make them wash their hands with soap and water after they do.

I am glad to have joined. I can't wait for future updates! :-D Thanks for answering my question!

I am glad to have joined. I can't wait for future updates! :-D Thanks for answering my question!

Anytime. Only update at this point is I'm still chasing leaks LOL. I got two major ones shut down, but still hunting one minor one that I can't find. Once I get it, I'll be ready to start scaping - hopefully by Friday.

I'm looking forward to this. If the bog tank is any indication of how this tank will turn out, it's going to be sweet.

Thanks - I'm hoping its going to be equal caliber, but equally unique in its own way. Got a few extras in the works on this one, including a mist system.

Ha! It's funny how every region seems to have their 'Tiger Salamander', huh? I can't even tell you how many we used to catch and release in the hills. Maybe even keep them for a day or two and then let them go. They are creepy-slimy though.

Can't wait to see the end result. Looks great so far.

Ha! It's funny how every region seems to have their 'Tiger Salamander', huh? I can't even tell you how many we used to catch and release in the hills. Maybe even keep them for a day or two and then let them go. They are creepy-slimy though.

Can't wait to see the end result. Looks great so far.

Indeed - while there are six subspecies of these, the vast majority across the U.S. appear to be the Eastern Tiger salamander Ambystoma tigrinum, which is the one I'm working with. Research shows that they reach an average of 6-8 inches, but individuals can get up to 14 inches.

Great video series here on identifying, buying, keeping, sexing, and building habitats for tiger salamanders for anyone who is interested;
Video: Types of Salamanders | eHow.com

Like all amphibians they are slimy, and they do not like to be handled (some research indicates that excessive handling can result in skin disease). From my own observations for the most part, they also do not seem to have great visual acuity.

Hopefully the end result will be pleasing - I've spent quite a bit of time researching and designing this one, which for me is rare LOL.

Since I'm not making leaps and strides with the build, here is a couple pictures of the old set-up, their current home.

img_1791143_0_582739511a545ba242ddcd895118b058.jpg

img_1791143_1_161e1b8444568bc98376b42455fac2f2.jpg

Its about 4' long and ugly as sin. The tank is a old mobile home bathtub. Its worked well, but I'm sure looking forward to getting rid of it.

Last edited:
The Salamanders

My Salamanders;
My two Tiger Salamanders, I believed one to be Ambystoma tigrinum melanostictum or the Blotched Tiger salamander and the other to be Ambystoma tigrinum tigrinum or the Eastern Tiger salamander. Both are females, so at some time in the future if I want to breed, I will have to aquire a male.

img_1791151_0_a184ba4d4d36c49d8b5ee6ef0a80f1e1.jpg

Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum)

Tiger salamanders are a large, robust salamander that is a member of the mole salamander family. Adults average 6 to 8 inches in length, although individuals up to 12 inches have been found. Distrubuted nearly coast to coast in North America, it is the only salamander native to the state of Wyoming. There are currently 6 recognized subspecies found throughout its range. Adults have distinct bars or splotches on a black, brown, or olive green background (although all black individuals also occur), while the larva lack the yellow bars and are a brown, grey or olive color. The larval form which is gilled is sometimes referred to as a waterdog or mudpuppy.

Habitat: Tiger salamanders require a moist environment in order to prevent desiccation. The adult form is primarily terrestrial and are found in forests, grasslands or marshes. They typically inhabit burrows or reside under leaf litter, but are also good swimmers. During the breeding season (late May to August), they return to shallow water to breed. Eggs adhere to submerged vegetation singly or in clusers up to 20. Larva are aquatic and have gills on their head which appear feathery in the water. Transformation from larva to adult can take anywhere from two months to two years.

Niche: Strict carnivores, the adults feeds primarily on insects and worms, although they may also occassionally consume small frogs or baby mice. the larve form feeds on aquatic invertebrates when small, but can become predacious and sometimes even cannibalistic when larger.

Breeding: Breeding occurs in the water in late May to August, with the male nudging a willing female to initiate mating. Females deposite an egg or egg sack during a mating dance, and the male then deposites a spermatophore. The female picks up the fertilized pack and adheres it to the underside of submerged vegetation.

Disease: Tiger salamanders typically carry both the Ambystoma tigrinum and the Regina ranavirus viruses, and both have been implicated in large scale die-offs of these animals. Batrachochytrium dendrobatides infections can also occur, but are typically not lethal. They can also carry salmonella bacteria, so care should be exercised after handling these animals.

Last edited:
Water System in Action

Ok, finally got all the leaks stopped (knock on wood). Had the system up and running to make sure it was going to perform the way I wanted, so here are a few pictures.
img_1792464_0_02976aa67649f56814887fe353b56dc2.jpg

Flow is pretty good - I had to add a rock on the left, as the water was going directly from the inflow to the overflow.
img_1792464_1_73f7889423877619cfb4cb4fb423eac6.jpg

You get a little better sense of the movement from this top down - its coming in on the right, going out on the left, but has to move out to the front and around the end on the left to get to the overflow.
img_1792464_2_90266592037cfe23d19f2dcdbe336f34.jpg

And here's a picture of the canister filter set-up on the back just to give you an idea of what I did. I'll be adding some shut off valves to the tubing when I tear down the tank to paint the back and I'll probably shorten the tubing up a bit as well. Anybody have thoughts on how short I want to go?
img_1792464_3_c19c372c142664a654bdd94fbea0f705.jpg

Last edited:
Painting the Tank

I used Krylon indoor/outdoor Satin Black to paint both the back wall and the right end wall of the tank. I'm hoping to cover the right hand wall with my bark piece, so didn't want the back side of that visible on the end. I started by setting the tank on cardboard, taping off the plastic rims, and covering parts I didn't want painted with newspaper (sorry about the quality of this shot, didn't realize how hard it is to take and infocus picture of a painted tank, and I only took the one);
img_1793148_0_ca4900429267a59dfe24d5ef514a998c.jpg

The final coat;
img_1793148_1_1c8a0747ec7b5e00f1980499c8754d47.jpg

I layered quite a few coats on in order to completely cover the glass, but was pleasently surprised by how easily it covered. Being patient and giving plenty of time between coats was key, to getting a nice smooth finish.

And the final product;
img_1793148_2_6a8e7a3ef954bff2738a59314e544b81.jpg

If you try this on your own, the only other advice I would give is be careful in taping to keep the tape completely off the glass and when removing the tape be very careful as it may peal the paint. I lost a little around the upper end and then had a really hard time getting it to recover - unfortunately I got a bit of a run on that end as a result.

Now that its painted, I do notice that the paint really makes the scratches and dirtiness really stand out. I don't think I'd paint another one unless it was brand new. I really want to jump in and get the bulkheads back in place and start scaping, but I'm sure I'd mess something up, so I'm going to make myself walk away and wait till later in the weekend or Monday before I do any more.

Last edited:
Indeed I am, but a little frustrated at this point as well. I've got the barrier wall water-tight to within the last inch, but I want to gain another half inch. Unfortunately, I've got one last leak that I'm chasing that I can't get shut down to gain that last half inch.

On a good note, I got the bulkheads plumbed and they are watertight, and I finally found some shut-off valves to incorperate into the vinyl line. I have one installed and working and the other is on order.

Yes!!!! Finally got the last leak sealed - barrier wall is watertight to within 1/2" of the top, giving me a full 5" of water in the water side. The other shut-off valve is here, so I'll be picking that up today and getting it installed. This will allow me to finalize the pump system. Hope to have some time to get the terrestrial scape in place today. Then I'm just waiting on the Ion Brick substrate and I can get the riparium side scaped as well.

Been doing some research into the various types of "ariums", and based on descriptions this would most likely be a paludarium since it incorperates both water and land, and I'm hoping to incorporate the riparium effect into the water side. Have some baskets and foam rafts coming in from riparium supply to help out with that. So perhaps it is a Tiger Salamander Paludarium/Riparium LOL, or perhaps as somebody suggested in another thread maybe it is just a viquarium.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom