yellow bellied slider?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i have a yellow bellied slider baby in a 29 gallon tank. right now it isnt filled and has no filter bc i have a box turtle that im rehabilatating and will release into a pond in about a week. i was wondering how long the yellow bellied turtle could stay in this tank or if i should just release him too. (these are both native to the region and i own the pond). i was thinking of attaching a 5 or 10 gallon to the top so that it have some land (probably a 10) first of all how should i go about doing this? second could fish live with this turtle like a bolivian ram? any help would be appreciated.

plz help little Zeus :)

They need a little plant matter in their diet too, when mine was a hatchling I just put a bunch of Anacharis in the tank and let it float, It doubles as cover and a snack. As he grows you will need to feed less meat and more vegitable.

A yellow slider needs a basking area with a heatlamp and UVB lamp. If it's not getting atleast 5 hours of UVB light per week it's going to have serious shell problems. Also if it can't get out of the water it is miserable. My slider eats anything that moves..I could never keep a fish with him, plus their waste is massive...just bought a filter for 400 gals to filter his 55 gal tank.

Babies need a higher protein diet, they should be fed a high quality pellet such as Reptomin, a head sized amount, every day. Plant matter can be offered but isn't as important for the young ones. As they mature, they need more plant matter (red leaf, green leaf, romaine, anacharis, duckweed) every day, and pellets only every other day.

Also feed a head sized peice of cuttlebone, with the hard shell backing removed, broke into peices, every other day.

A yellow slider needs a basking area with a heatlamp and UVB lamp. If it's not getting atleast 5 hours of UVB light per week it's going to have serious shell problems. Also if it can't get out of the water it is miserable. My slider eats anything that moves..I could never keep a fish with him, plus their waste is massive...just bought a filter for 400 gals to filter his 55 gal tank.

Babies need a higher protein diet, they should be fed a high quality pellet such as Reptomin, a head sized amount, every day. Plant matter can be offered but isn't as important for the young ones. As they mature, they need more plant matter (red leaf, green leaf, romaine, anacharis, duckweed) every day, and pellets only every other day.

Also feed a head sized peice of cuttlebone, with the hard shell backing removed, broke into peices, every other day.

I keep a pair of convicts in with my 8'' male they don't bother each other and the fry produced make for a good snack. The convicts seem to be the only thing I have found so far that he doesn't try to kill/eat.

Back
Top Bottom