00youknowit00's 20H reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I took down my 3gallon pico reef and only have this now, went from 6 tanks to 1, so this is really my baby, I want this tank to be a show stopper! So here is where I stand..

Its a 20H:
Tank is cycled
~22lbs of rock
AquaticLife 115 skimmer
4 x 24w t5 fixture(2 x Actinic, 2 x 10k)
Have a QuietFlow10 with carbon in it running too.
I have a Hydor Korilla 600gph that I was given, pretty sure it's too much though hahaha

Livestock so far:
1 x Mexican Turbo Snail
2 x Peppermint Shrimp
1 x Yellow Watchman Goby

Corals so far:
1 x Green Mushroom
(want to have a lot of zoas)

So what I really want fish wise is simply 2 Ocellaris Clowns (1 x 'Normal', 1 x B&W) do-able? :D or just 1..?

I'm thinking of a dual carbon and GFO reactor?
Need to find a power head that'll work.

Like normal I'm going to have a ton of questions! Any and all advice is welcome, I love ideas! Ill get pictures once I get a new phone, which should be around the 7th. This phone doesn't take great pictures..

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Im excited for this build!! How big of a tank? Did i miss that? :)

Its a 20H.. its in the title;) I'll add it in though!

I'd rather bigger, but mom won't allow anything bigger.. :/ oh well..

Lol sorry i missed that. Anyways, thats awesome! Bring on the questions and stock plans! :D

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Lol sorry i missed that. Anyways, thats awesome! Bring on the questions and stock plans! :D

Well okay!! :D

2 x Ocellaris Clowns, would that be okay? Or is 2 too much?
I have a Yellow Watchman Goby already.

Would I benefit from a dual carbon and GFO reactor enough to warrant buying one?

I have 1 green mushroom, my problem is how to get it to stay down, its not on a plug or anything. All its grabbed onto is one tiny little pebble. What should I do?

2 clowns in a 20h is a lil small but doable, the reactors are always a good thing but not really needed in this kind of setup if you stay on top of routine maintenance and for the mushroom you could use a rubberband to attach it to a rock or even use a shot glass or something to put over top of it til it grabs hold

Mrc8858 said:
2 clowns in a 20h is a lil small but doable, the reactors are always a good thing but not really needed in this kind of setup if you stay on top of routine maintenance and for the mushroom you could use a rubberband to attach it to a rock or even use a shot glass or something to put over top of it til it grabs hold

If they're the only "swimming" fish in there would it be okay? And reactors seem like they do really good work. Ill try the rubberband, how long will it take to grab hold?

Most times my corals will open up after a day when I bring em home maybe 2 and for Softies mine take hold in 3-4 days..as for flow a good rule of thumb is 40-50x volume of the tank so for a 20 gallon 800-1000 total gph should be perfect. (that includes all powerheads and return)

Got some coral, I know the gsp, the nuclear green palys, nuclear green zoas, other than that ID if your can, got it all on craigslist!

ForumRunner_20120708_151834.jpg

ForumRunner_20120708_151856.jpg

ForumRunner_20120708_151912.jpg

ID? He threw these in for free.
ForumRunner_20120708_151935.jpg

ID? They're low light, and micro.
ForumRunner_20120708_152008.jpg

I have just started moving things up closer to the light, so i'm hoping things will start opening more and show more color!

Back
Top Bottom