Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bucks Co., PA
Posts: 168
Temperature

As a follow-up to the NSW target for salinity 1.026 and given the observations and data that Dr. Shimek also presented on the temperaturevariances, reproductive health, etc. from locale-to-locale and seasonality within specific reef systems, getting to an "optimum" temp in a home reef almost seems more problematic.

Temperature and Salinity in Maintaining Coral Reef Aquarium Animals Ron Shimek's Website...Critters

Since we're referencing NSW observations and data, I'm thinking we're not too far off topic here.

What is the ideal target temp? 78F is what my LFS recommended.

__________________

__________________
LarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 589
I sit at middle range around 75. For many species of critters that I have, the optimum range is 72-78. To me, sitting at 78 means a constant balancing act on the edge.
__________________

__________________
tlkng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
SW 20 & Over Club
 
ccCapt's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 5,362
Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
From the Ron Shimek article...
"The average temperature calculated for all 1000 + coral reefs was 81.7F. Over all reefs, the average lowest temperature observed was 76.4F, and the average highest temperature was 86.4F. One way that these data could be interpreted would be to say that for most corals and coral reef animals, the best conditions would be between 76F and 86F, with the average being about 82F."

I have my temp controller set to kick on the heaters if the water drops below 80 and the fans kick on if the temp goes over 82. When I was running metal halides my temp would vary between 80 (lights off) and 82 (lights on). Now that I'm running LED's my temp is pretty solid at 80.
__________________
/Larry
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bucks Co., PA
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkng1 View Post
I sit at middle range around 75. For many species of critters that I have, the optimum range is 72-78. To me, sitting at 78 means a constant balancing act on the edge.
Very interesting approach. I've also noticed using 78 as a 'baseline' seems to encourage temp rising during that day - granted, I'm still cycling but we've been in some mild weather (60-80 daytime) so it's easy to see how this might be problematic in warmer weather. Evenings/nighttime heaters work like champs.
__________________
LarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bucks Co., PA
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
From the Ron Shimek article...
"The average temperature calculated for all 1000 + coral reefs was 81.7F. Over all reefs, the average lowest temperature observed was 76.4F, and the average highest temperature was 86.4F. One way that these data could be interpreted would be to say that for most corals and coral reef animals, the best conditions would be between 76F and 86F, with the average being about 82F."

I have my temp controller set to kick on the heaters if the water drops below 80 and the fans kick on if the temp goes over 82. When I was running metal halides my temp would vary between 80 (lights off) and 82 (lights on). Now that I'm running LED's my temp is pretty solid at 80.
LEDs will certainly make temp regulation easier by not adding heat. The Ron Skimek article certainly makes the case for keeping the baseline at 80, of course fans still required on warmer days.

Have you seen any references (like Shimek's) for fish only tanks?
__________________
LarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #16
SW 20 & Over Club
 
ccCapt's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 5,362
Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
In regards to a fish only tank, what fish do you have in mind that don't live on a reef? Very few fish in the marine aquarium trade don't come off reefs.
__________________
/Larry
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bucks Co., PA
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
In regards to a fish only tank, what fish do you have in mind that don't live on a reef? Very few fish in the marine aquarium trade don't come off reefs.
Still sorting that out. I gleaning from your comment that I can target the same temp unless noted elsewhere in the reference (requirement) of that fish.

That said, not sure that of the books I'm perusing (including Scott Michael's field guides) that I noticed how to differentiate between those fish that come off reefs and those that don't. Just assumed (apparently in error) that a non-reef safe fish was not from the reef.

Frankly, offhand I'm not recollecting any special references to temp (or salinity unless fresh or brackish fish).
__________________

__________________
LarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.