Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
That acro looks about dead to me. That's just algae growing on it making it look green IMO. How about flow?
Really? I dont have green algae in my tank. And I respect your knowledge, but really hope your wrong. :p

This coral in question lost its brown color totally in just 3days and now is getting greener.

Flow I think is good. post 1= 350gph is on back glass pointing to middle of the bowed glass making a mushroom flow off the glass and the [2] 500gph waver makers are in the front corners pointing toward top of rocks and down the sides. Creating a flow around the back of the rocks to push out "gunk"

Last two tests: - doing water changes to drop Nitrates... Beginning was 20ppm, Might have been too high..
4/13/12 - Nitrates = 5<10ppm,
8g WC
4/15/12 - Nitrates = 0<5ppm
5g WC

Other parameters are within range.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #42
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

When corals die, they become lr basically. With all of my coral failures, they have become 2 colors: green and brown.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
What I am guessing happened is that the acro died, lost all of it's flesh which left a pure white skeleton, and that was quickly covered with a green microalgae, which gave the impression that it turned green. Acropora, or any sps for that matter, won't change colors that quickly unless it's something like this happening.
IME, it would take about a month to color up a coral that had been browned out.
I don't understand why this is happening though, if I'm correct, that is.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #44

Quote:
What I am guessing happened is that the acro died, lost all of it's flesh which left a pure white skeleton, and that was quickly covered with a green microalgae, which gave the impression that it turned green. Acropora, or any sps for that matter, won't change colors that quickly unless it's something like this happening.
IME, it would take about a month to color up a coral that had been browned out.
I don't understand why this is happening though, if I'm correct, that is.
Thanx.. This is starting to frustrate me terrible.. "i dont want to believe" they are dying... But my digitata from first post. Lost its brown/tan and seems to be still growing tho. Has very small white fuzz which I asume is the polyps.. my blue monti cap seems to be good. But now looks orange under white lights.. And purple with yellow around they're mouths under blue lights.

could nitrates in the 5<20ppm cause death so quickly... ?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think so. Brown them out, maybe, but kill them practically overnight, doubtful.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #46

Quote:
I don't think so. Brown them out, maybe, but kill them practically overnight, doubtful.
Would this be concidered dead?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120417_163855.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	89519

This was another "over night" bleach out. Started blue I believe and flaked off in 3days then was bone white a week or two and then took on the brown you see now. Fraged 3/18/12 from a mh tank.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #47
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yeah, that is not alive. Being white for a week especially. When you see white, you are actually seeing the skeleton. It would be just like a deer rotting in the woods. Flesh flakes off, then you have white bone, followed by discoloring of the bone.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't tell from the pic. Are there any polyps you can see? I do agree though that if you see nothing but skeleton for a week, the odds of new tissue developing on that coral are slim at best.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #49

@Mr.X - no polyps on the pic above...

I need a PAR meter like a fat kid needs Jenny craig!!! Finding one to rent is nearly impossible. Unless I put up $500 deposit... The best LFS I have, said "we plan to buy a $700 one" but that is just a plan. I'm going to suggest they buy the cheapo $140 one and I'll give them they're first deposit.. (doubt they'll go for it tho)

I don't have any reefer friends and no local reef clubs (or at least I can't find them)

I understand the trust needed for such a "borrow" but I'm going to start a thread anyhow, maybe someone will be willing to take a leap of faith for me...

Without the PAR known this is becoming a BIG WASTE.. Over $200 lost so far!!! Just in coral..over the past month
Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Where are you located?
Forget PAR. You are not going to kill something in a couple days by not having enough PAR. What do you think happens in the ocean when it's covered for a week with thick storm clouds? It's not lighting.

Closed Thread

Tags
missing, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com