Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Where are you located?
Forget PAR. You are not going to kill something in a couple days by not having enough PAR. What do you think happens in the ocean when it's covered for a week with thick storm clouds? It's not lighting.

13032 Syracuse, NY

Any suggests to what it could be then.. I research "reefing" all day long, it has become an obsession, and still can't find the answer.. I have forum threads all over the web, go to LFS's almost daily trying to figure out why I can't keep corals.. I did the same thing a year ago, when I couldn't keep soft corals.. I finally gave up after 4 months and decided it was improper lighting and the tank not being mature enough.,, So I walked away form it for months. Aug. 2011 - Jan. 2012 to let nature take it's course... And upgraded my light to current leds...

Grrrrr.... Seems that I know more than LFS's now.. Pisses me off met a LFS worker with a great reef tank and doesn't even know how to test calcium or anything.. And never has!!!!!!!

Just for sh!ts and giggles I will test for copper again!! Doubt it cause inverts are fine. But IDK...

I just want to start buying sps's already................ I mean watching $10 frags die is fun in all but ****.......

Here's a pic of my wifes 10g...2/14/12 She won't test parameters, starting water came from my DT and has [2] 65w pc's... Aglae like a mother!! And yet her carpet anemone looks to love it... WTF

Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #52

Ok so I'm just going to throw a bunch of pics your way and see what comes out.. I will label each pic, when replying please include which pic your talking about...

The point is to see what your experience has to say... I'm starting to consider the possibility that I have a pest infestation but after much research I can't identify any and most are which so small... (bad eye sight) can't see.

#1. "Blue Plating Montipora" Day 1 - 4/11/12 Notice white dot in mid/right?

#2 "__" 4/17/12 Sorry Pic quality is the best I can do. Notice more white spots?
#3 "__"Close up of Spots

#4 Green/Orange Zoa Colony 3/11/12

#5 "___" 4/17/12

If it is a pest. What to do next? Where do I stand...
What would you do??

Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #53
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well...there might be something nasty in there. I'm nowhere close to a pest expert... Do you run any carbon or anything?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Well...there might be something nasty in there. I'm nowhere close to a pest expert... Do you run any carbon or anything?

Nope this is everything.. No Dosing.. Just LR and WC's.

Tank Specs: 5/2/11 - current
60g Corner Bow + 10g Sump
Modified Seaclone 150 Protein Skimmer
[2] JBJ 500gph waver maker [10secs-6mins Random 24/7]
[1] 350gph powerhead
Mag 7 return pump [4.5' head] est. 250-280gph]
DT 60lbs LR + sump 5lbs LR Honestly there maybe more..
Ground Probe

Oh and good news I finally got my POS SEACrap Skimmer to acually skim something worth dumping... Had to hook monster duel air pump into one hose straight down the center tube to the bottom.. Pulling like a real skimmer now... Woot Woot.... Want to upgrade but expensive for what they are...

I don't see what running carbon can hurt. But how would you suggest doing it? How often? HOB? Canister filter? Or possibly have the overflow drop into a carbon basket before sump or in sump?(dumpable)
Old 04-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #55
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well, a cheap HOB filter or a carbon basket would be the easiest way to do it. I run it in a HOB filter atm, but once I upgrade my tank I'm plumbing in a BRS dual reactor which is a much more effective way of running carbon and gfo.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
A pest wouldn't wipe out frags overnight. That chalice (pic 1 and 2) is bleaching. I would say the white coming out of the mouths is it's own guts. A sign of it's objection to something.
I'm thinking those zoas are melting due to the light. What fixture are you running again?
Old 04-18-2012, 03:16 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
A pest wouldn't wipe out frags overnight. That chalice (pic 1 and 2) is bleaching. I would say the white coming out of the mouths is it's own guts. A sign of it's objection to something.
I'm thinking those zoas are melting due to the light. What fixture are you running again?

Thats what I thought after looking at it a couple times.. The white dots keep moving... Like from different mouths....

Light.. 14"-16" above water surface. Chalice 24"-26" from light..
http://www.aquastyleonline.com/produ...mable-Kit.htmlDIY Bridgelux leds [38] 3w [16]Royal Blue [2]UV !2hrs @ 40% // [16]10,000k [4]6500k 4-5hrs 35% Meanwell drivers LPF-60D-48 http://www.aquastyleonline.com/produ...0D%252d48.html

I recently (4/15/12) raised the fixture up from 12"-14" over the water surface and raised the dimming from 25% on both.

Turn them back down???
Old 04-19-2012, 06:55 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Crank the LEDs way down and see what happens.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #59

Ok so made a noob mistake and broke the chalice and went to glue it down. Then used the wrong glue (liquid) which in short ruined the chalice and desided to not risk putting the liquid super glue in my system, so just threw the chalice out.

I have my water about to be tested by a lab. They test for over 500 things. And hopefully the test will come back with something because this is more than just my light..

Seems to effect hard (sps) corals faster.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #60
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Sounds like overkill. It has to be either lighting or water quality isnt good enough. Id still put my money on lighting if i remember this thread correctly.

Closed Thread

Tags
missing, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com