1 yr old tank still having problems? Am I missing something??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to do a little more research on color temperature. The color temp of the sky is not 30, 000k. The higher the number, does not mean the stronger the light. Generally, it's the opposite.

Reef79 said:
I agree with Mr x carbon is not your answer I've never seen corals die in a few days even when water quality is terrible you have something desperately wrong if they are dying that quickly .I would start back to basics test your RO do a massive water change with some quality salt Tropic Marin even reef crystals are fine. Stop dosing. And continue to check RO and do pwc for six months then try some easier to support corals most of the stuff you're corals need is in your salt. If u buy quality salt then there shouldn't be much to dose maybee calcium.
That's my opinion

I dont dose anything. Carbon is in basket right at the end of the overflow.. Recently added. And tank had same problem with softies a year ago.. Tank "matured" with a few large WC's and then just pwc from aug 2011 till feb. 2012..

If there is something, i'm not able to test for it... Professional water testing lab has a sample of mine. Just waiting for results. Told it would take about two weeks and will include over 500 chemicals/minerals tested.

Autolumination.com/colors.htm shows overcast sky at 7400k which is the same as a lot of other charts which also shows blue sky at 30000k and this is not the only place I have seen this chart just the first place I found today. Most charts show what the Kelvin is on a partly cloudy day. I really don't want to argue here. I was merely stating my opinions I shouldn't have to show my research to back up what I say. I am not just a stupid dude the just says random stuff so I can get more posts. I have spent hours researching this.

Autolumination.com/colors.htm shows overcast sky at 7400k which is the same as a lot of other charts which also shows blue sky at 30000k and this is not the only place I have seen this chart just the first place I found today. Most charts show what the Kelvin is on a partly cloudy day. I really don't want to argue here. I was merely stating my opinions I shouldn't have to show my research to back up what I say. I am not just a stupid dude the just says random stuff so I can get more posts. I have spent hours researching this.
Think about a 20k lamp. It's very blue. A 30, 000k lamp would be ridiculously blue, almost like a black light bulb. That website is has inconsistencies. As a matter of fact, their color chart above on that very page you referenced is more accurate and contradictory to what's written below it (the one with their website name written in it). You should definitely show your data as a back up. We don't want people getting the wrong information.
Many of us have spent years researching photosynthesis, PAR, Kelvin, and such.

Why do you insist on making this an argument I have researched this. 480 nm is blue 20000k is white. I have have 20000k leds they r white. 15000k bulbs in a t5 is white the blue antinic t5 is a 480 nm bulb. The nm refer to color not. Why don't you think about if you run mh bulds that run 20000k do they turn your tank blue NO. So Idk what your deal is or what kinda lights your looking at. I was making a suggestion. This is aquarium advice is it not. This argument is of topic and not needed. If he decides to follow my advice then he does either it works or not. Its a forum that has lot of opinions. I entitle you to yours. Entitle me to mine and shut-up.

Why do you insist on making this an argument I have researched this. 480 nm is blue 20000k is white. I have have 20000k leds they r white. 15000k bulbs in a t5 is white the blue antinic t5 is a 480 nm bulb. The nm refer to color not. Why don't you think about if you run mh bulds that run 20000k do they turn your tank blue NO. So Idk what your deal is or what kinda lights your looking at. I was making a suggestion. This is aquarium advice is it not. This argument is of topic and not needed. If he decides to follow my advice then he does either it works or not. Its a forum that has lot of opinions. I entitle you to yours. Entitle me to mine and shut-up.

Sorry dude. I've never heard of 30,000k bulb but when you google 30,000k you get car head lights only, try it...

But if my lights were to low as you state . There on a dimmer and I have them as low as possible..So turning them up wouldn't be a problem.. And alot of respectable company's use 10,000k leds.. Figured I was bleaching because of too much or light shock either way is too much, not too low.....

If i get to 100% and still having trouble with my water test coming back clean then I will consider low lighting being the issue. But I highly doubt if anything it's too much.

Like I said my opinion was your Kelvin was a little low. I don't think that is you problem. Yeah you don't want 30000k I was just saying that was bright sunny day. You have to compensate for the closeness of the aquarium lighting, then in the ocean there is refraction so there isn't 30000k reaching any real world corals. That is y aquarium lighting isn't that bright. In my opinion your aquarium is either devoid of some nutrient or too much of another. Like others have said lighting shouldn't kill a coral in 2 days.

I've noticed you are mainly buying frags. Have these frags had time to heal before you bought them?

This is the last thing I can think of. Sorry

Yeah but from the way I understand it limpids only eat the flesh of certain types of corals I believe it to be lps corals

Trusty_one said:
Yeah but from the way I understand it limpids only eat the flesh of certain types of corals I believe it to be lps corals

True- but I think (not reading back here) that these are all sps.

Whatever it is- its got to be frustrating.

Are you getting your corals all from the same store???

Ok. Have you seen any limpits?

"Limpets

Several different genus and many species make up the snail-like invertebrate family, commonly known as limpets. Limpets have an oval, laterally compressed shell that tapers to an off-centered blunt point. Limpets have a tiny hole at the crest of their shell where it becomes a point, which they use for waste and water exchange. Many of these species have a very large mantle that extends around and covers the shell. In fact, some limpets can be very beautiful with amazing colors, and make a welcome guest in an aquarium that does not contain SPS corals.

The most common variety encountered in a reef aquarium is the Keyhole Limpet. They are a common import with live rock, and are typically colored in a mottled brown, black and tan pattern, and do not have a mantle that cover their shell. The Keyhole Limpets are typically half an inch long, or smaller, and feed on unwanted filamentous algae, cyanobacteria, diatoms and even hydroids. Unfortunately, in the SPS aquarium, they will also feed on the tissue of SPS corals.

As with many of the snail species, it is best to physically remove the limpet if you are unsure of its species and diet. Some limpet species are herbivores and are beneficial to even a reef aquarium. But even the herbivores can become harmful if there is not enough food for them in the aquarium. Limpets will typically not reproduce to any significant number in the aquarium, and physical removal is usually a sufficient control for the SPS coral aquarist." - LA

Ok first off thanx to all !! We're getting some where.. (y)

Like I said my opinion was your Kelvin was a little low. I don't think that is you problem. Yeah you don't want 30000k I was just saying that was bright sunny day. You have to compensate for the closeness of the aquarium lighting, then in the ocean there is refraction so there isn't 30000k reaching any real world corals. That is y aquarium lighting isn't that bright. In my opinion your aquarium is either devoid of some nutrient or too much of another. Like others have said lighting shouldn't kill a coral in 2 days.

No I understood what you were saying and in combination with your response I think I'm ordering some more led's. Not to increase watts but to take some RB out and put in [3-5] 420nm Actinic violet LED and replacing the [2]reds with Bridgelux LED 3W Pink . Plus adding [2 ]10,000k's on the blues to get rid of the 20k look. I like the 14k or 10k look way better. And a sunrise/sunset setup would be great.

Or every things fine with my light--> 150g mixed reef w/LEDs - YouTube

I've noticed you are mainly buying frags. Have these frags had time to heal before you bought them?

This is the last thing I can think of. Sorry
True- but I think (not reading back here) that these are all sps. Mostly

Whatever it is- its got to be frustrating.

Are you getting your corals all from the same store???

Ok long list here but in short YES/NO/MAYBE They all are from many different tanks, states, LFS's and more.. lol Some fresh fragged, some been healed for awhile.. Some came from Mh, or T5's, or Led's ....

Ok. Have you seen any limpits?

"Limpets

IDK what they are but will in 5mins.... :popcorn:

In my research and stating its my opinion red leds have very little value for most coral but usually do promote algae growth. But, that seems to be contradictory in your tank also. Too, bright of lights can sunburn coral best to acclimate them to your lighting on dim and turn up slowly but, you stated the coral came from different types of lighting I would think one of these should have been close enough to your lighting to have the difference negligible. I am only asking this to rule out everything. You are acclimating your corals. Correct. If yes and I hope yes. What is your process.

Trusty_one said:
In my research and stating its my opinion red leds have very little value for most coral but usually do promote algae growth. But, that seems to be contradictory in your tank also. Too, bright of lights can sunburn coral best to acclimate them to your lighting on dim and turn up slowly but, you stated the coral came from different types of lighting I would think one of these should have been close enough to your lighting to have the difference negligible. I am only asking this to rule out everything. You are acclimating your corals. Correct. If yes and I hope yes. What is your process.

Non of those leds were red. Except the two I have on it now. And they have been taped off a little while now. I agree reds are minor if any. The point of the pink is to get that higher 400 wave and to give a little in 600 range, which has been proven to increase growth. 610 I think it was.

The voilet is to get the lower 400 wave length. I feel I am missing some key wave lengths that antics bulbs like T5's. My blue spike is short and high, so zoox that takes 452-455wave length should in theory flourish in my tank. If its a problem at all...

Acclimate: tried many methods but drip to sump at 1-2drops per sec for 1-4hrs depending on animal. 75% emptied when almost full. Repeat. To the tank, starts off on sea bed. High lighted animals to the center, lower lighting to the corners. Then if its a air senstive animal, risk the bag water and remove under water. Recently have been doing it in the dark too. Meaning sump light off and then only moon lights on for a few hrs after added.

Ok. Well you can chalk some frags that didn't have time to heal off your list because if they are stressed and don't have time to heal there is a possibility they won't make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom