Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2002, 09:57 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
10 gal reef

OK, I know this ain't Radio Shack, but I also know you folks have answers . I finished setting up a 10 gal reef last night. It has about 3 1/2 -4 inches of CaribSea Seaflor sand, 7lbs base rock, 1lb Florida aquacultured rock, 6lbs Fiji, and 1 1/2lbs of Tonga branch. I am using an Eclipse hood on it. The pump for the Eclipse died several years ago so it is powered by a Maxijet 400. I am using the area where the filter cartridge went for a carbon bag. Also have removed the Biowheel although there is a small piece of filter floss there now to cut down on bubbles entering the tank through the return. I have another Maxijet 400 on the other side for circulation. Tank ran for about 2 weeks with just the sand...just put the rock in last night. The Fiji and Tonga are COVERED with coraline. The Florida has maybe 40% coverage. The base...well it's just rock. Have noticed feather dusters and what I think (it's so tiny) may be a Xenia. Also several little brown stars crawling around...are these the coral eaters? Do I need to get rid of them? Livestock consists of 4 red leg hermits and 3 turbo snails at this point. Have decided to install one very tiny Clownfish with the knowledge that he will have to be moved after some growth. He won't go in for a month or so. So far, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate...all 0. SG is 1.024. Used IO salt. Tank has 30 watts of light...15 blue...15 white. Doubt there will be room for a skimmer anywhere in here. Rock rode home from Atlanta in a bucket...with a little luck, there won't be much die off. Anybody got ideas, criticisms, advice, ect...
Logan J

Old 10-31-2002, 10:06 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Anybody got ideas, criticisms, advice, ect...
YA I got a comment.

Where the PHOTOS!!! Even a webcam shot

Sounds like your tank is off to a great start with all that LR and a good sand bed.

Doubt you need to wait a full month before fish. Give it a week or so. If no ammonia shows up then your good to go. Your cycle will be short if not nonexistant thanks to well cured live rock.[/url]

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 11:44 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I use TLC to speed the cycle. Works Great. Ive added fish after a week with that stuff.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:44 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Stars

Does anyone know about the stars I mentioned? A couple of people have told me that as long as they were serpent stars, they posed no threat to corals. I believe this was a serpent. It had a well defined central disc and long skinny legs. It was very small so it was hard to see really well...especially with these dysfunctional eyes I have 8O . It was a light brown color with no other markings that I could make out. I guess it was about 1/4 inch in diameter including the legs (arms?).
I'll try to get a pic of it (the tank) when I can beg, borrow, or steal a digital camera.
Logan J
Old 11-01-2002, 01:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to SleeplessLwd
They sound like baby brittle stars.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

They may be miniature brittle stars.A picture would be a big help. If they are miniature brittle stars they are scavengers like the full size ones. I have them in my refugium. I don't know the life span but in a few months I had baby mini brittle stars. If I can get a picture of mine I will post for you.

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 06:00 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Stars

I had read somewhere that there was a variety of stars that ate corals. I wish I could remember more about it. I'll do some research on the matter and post the results if I uncover anything conclusive. The only thing I can remember was that the stars in question were very small.
Thanks.
Logan J
Old 11-01-2002, 07:00 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Here is a pic of one of my mini brittle stars....it is aprox 1/4"-1/2" from the tip of one leg to the tip of the other. With the exception of the green brittle star, any stars that conform to this body style (no matter what size, with or without the spiked legs) are considered benificial scavengers in the reef tank.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 10:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

The article about the Starfish eating corals is on Garf's home page.
They are more of a flesh colored starfish and larger then the mini brittle star. Nasty little critters

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 11:18 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Mini star

Reefrunner, that's the critter. Thank you. Thanks for the info on the article location also. I knew had read about them somewhere.
Logan J

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com