10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I gotta figure out how to adjust the skimmer. the pump has a ball valve to adjust the flow I guess and the inlet part shaped, like a cone he had teflon tape covering up half of it I'm assuming to adjust how much water gets thru. Then the outlet of the skimmer has.a adjustment knob

So when I remove the wheel filter then there isn't anything inside the filter and it will just basically be a water pump

You can get a pack of filter cartridges that will have a bit of carbon between a plastic sheet and a blue mechanical filter pad. You can use each pad for months by rinsing it out in tap water once a week. You can also add a bag of Purigen or some ChemiPure Elite into the filter. Either will help keep the water clean and clear.

Ok, do I rinse it out in tap water? On my freshwater tank I was told not to do that that it will kill the good bacteria

kwandrsn said:
Ok, do I rinse it out in tap water? On my freshwater tank I was told not to do that that it will kill the good bacteria

In freshwater tanks I never use tap water to rinse the pads but in saltwater I always use tap. The difference is saltwater tanks use live rock and sand for it's only bio media. Freshwater tanks depend on filter pads and ceramic for bio media. R

insing the pads in normal tap water kills the bacteria on it and lets the pad work only as a mechanical filter. That's what you want in a salt tank.

Ok I see. Well I cleaned the tank the best I could its a little scratched up but not bad. With water in it you may not be able to tell. Time to start filling with water and Waite a few says and see if it leaks. Gonna put the equipment in it too and let it run for a few days

Ok I filled with water added rock, then sand gonna pull some water out tomorrow and dilute with salt then add it back. Someone said to put the dried out dead snails I found in the bottom of the bucket full of rock to start my cycle

ForumRunner_20130118_211744.jpg

Ok I filled with water added rock, then sand gonna pull some water out tomorrow and dilute with salt then add it back. Someone said to put the dried out dead snails I found in the bottom of the bucket full of rock to start my cycle

Looks good! :) I usually like to pre-mix the salt water.

I will after this time I was just trying to get it going. I can't buy the salt till tomorrow

That'll work. :) not a big deal since you don't have anything alive in the tank. :) I'm really excited for you!

Ok well the water is still cloudy. and my heater isn't working right. Its a stealth that was recalled and I'm waiting for the manufacturer to send me a new one

ForumRunner_20130119_085655.jpg

Back
Top Bottom