Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2005, 10:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

My advice (regardless of if I think this is a good idea) is that before you launch a big promotional idea like this, you test it. See if a complete novice like your brother, mother, etc can manage the tank without trouble and without hand-holding. After all, the average customer wouldn't have your cell phone number to ring over every little thing Address questions on the fact sheet and change the setup if it doesn't seem to be manageable for whatever reasons.

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Bhunsucker
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen IMO but like you stated LFS are trying to make a dollar on the Nemo craz. Its not right or fair to the animal but thats the LFS for you.

It also sounds like you have made up your mind to do it or bust so what does it matter what we think?

55Gal FW Aquarium
AquaClear 110/500 Filter

45gal Clarity Plus Aquarium
Wet/Dry DLS Aquatics Filteration System
Bhunsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I like the idea of culturing base rock on your site to save the store money to bring down costs.. I can only see one problem with that though.. would the store have enough room to set up the culutring vats (or maybe Im overthinking this, but I would think that the demand for this cultured base rock might be high and need extra space, and time to get started well before going ahead with the deal)
Old 10-06-2005, 06:11 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

we try to convince customers not to buy animals we don't think they can sustain. this idea is designed for experienced freshwater aquarists.

unfortunately the store is not large enough for a rock culturing tank or anything like that. i am thinking about culturing the filter sponges and biological media to go home with the kit.

sati, i definitely intend to test the idea and my instructions on a novice aquarist.
-convict blenny
-bubble coral
-clove polyps
-green hairy mushroom
-cleaner shrimp

pics
Genix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhunsucker
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen IMO but like you stated LFS are trying to make a dollar on the Nemo craz. Its not right or fair to the animal but thats the LFS for you.

It also sounds like you have made up your mind to do it or bust so what does it matter what we think?
yes i have made up my mind to go through with this but i need help to ensure the most success. i do care about animals and the reefs which is why the kit is for experienced aquarists and that's also the reason we will be using tank-bred percs and aquacultured live rock.
-convict blenny
-bubble coral
-clove polyps
-green hairy mushroom
-cleaner shrimp

pics
Old 10-06-2005, 07:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure I like the idea. As mentioned, a 10gal is a bit small to start with. I am concerned about the support issue. Not in terms of you or the advice you can give to aquarists, but in terms of all of the different SW hard good products that go along with SW tanks. If you are unable to support the customer's needs as far as product goes they will find a different store. SW is addicting and I am afraid your customers will be wanting more they the store can offer. If you d not have the space and time to devote to the SW industry I suggest skipping it. Pick one thing and do it well.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:01 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

we have another store in town that deals with saltwater. should they need something we don't have, they can always go there. also i've changed the plan to use a 20 gallon tank.
-convict blenny
-bubble coral
-clove polyps
-green hairy mushroom
-cleaner shrimp

pics
Old 10-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

What about water changes? Do they get salt with the deal, or they getting water from your store? Do they have RO/DI units at home, or do they have really good tap water?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:23 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

A lot of experienced freshwater people that go into salt would probably not be in the market for a premade kit. They wouldn't mind getting bargain on tank, stand, lighting, skimmer, heater, etc. combination. But they wouldn't want to buy a complete kit with water and fish already though. I think those are for people new to aquariums. FOr a new person, don't forget to include a gravel vac for water changes and an algae scraper. We all know you can't do salt for cheap.

If your going to do it, just go with a 29G kit with all the necessary supplies and run a special on that and offer $30 in free fish.
Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 12:30 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
You can do a 10 gallon. That was my first sw tank. But i also read on sw tanks forever and read about 5 books on it. as long as you know what your doing and dont overstock it, and monitor water levels.

It can be done but if your going to do a kit trya bigger tank or something. THe only thing i see wrong is somebody coming there and buying the tank and not knowing what the heck to do. Just because you have the tank doesnt mean you know what to do with it. offer some book or something with it and dont hve it all set up. Just have a special, if you buy all these things together you get 25 percent off or something. or just have a kit with all the equipment in it and have specials on the fish and what not.

Also have something other than crushed coral. Fora beginner itll only complicate things more. i have it in my 10 gallon right now only because it goes well with the deco and like it but im going to change it soon because i have to constantly clean it.

And also in kits they dont include everything. they usually have the salt hydrometer and all the basic stuff, so just remember that thats not all you have to get, theres always something more.

hth if you could understand it lol i cant type to save my life today.

Tags
10 gallon, clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com