Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2005, 04:01 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
we have another store in town that deals with saltwater. should they need something we don't have, they can always go there.
this is my point exactly. You may end up actually loosing customers over this. They try SW, decide they like it...now they want bigger tanks, more equipment, different fish, lighting, corals, anemones, invert...the list goes on. Your store can not currently support this need. They will be forced to go to the competition and while they are there, they might as well up up the FW supplies they need as well. Bye-bye customer.

Old 10-08-2005, 10:58 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
Quote:
we have another store in town that deals with saltwater. should they need something we don't have, they can always go there.
this is my point exactly. You may end up actually loosing customers over this. They try SW, decide they like it...now they want bigger tanks, more equipment, different fish, lighting, corals, anemones, invert...the list goes on. Your store can not currently support this need. They will be forced to go to the competition and while they are there, they might as well up up the FW supplies they need as well. Bye-bye customer.
sorry, i didn't word that very well. the other store i mentioned is part of the same company.

right now i'm kinda thinking that i should just set up a 20 gallon display tank on the counter with a pair of percs and a cleaner shrimp. i'm going to write up complete instructions, throw a large price tag on it, and see if it sells. that way a willing customer (experienced in freshwater)can take home an established marine tank and maintain it without extensive knowledge and effort.

-convict blenny
-bubble coral
-clove polyps
-green hairy mushroom
-cleaner shrimp

pics
Genix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:41 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
i'm going to write up complete instructions, throw a large price tag on it, and see if it sells. that way a willing customer (experienced in freshwater)can take home an established marine tank and maintain it without extensive knowledge and effort.
Is this misworded as well? This continues to be dangerous as you are specifically saying that you will be sending home an aquarium with livestock to someone without having extensive knowledge if proper husbandry. IME, establishing the nitrogen cycle was a no-brainer, it was all of the various aspects of saltwater husbandry that was the most confusing yet was the most important.

My fear is that, even with the instructions, people may be going home with a tank they assume is stable....yet have no idea really how to keep it that way (imo, even an experience fw aquarists starts out as a sw newbie). Also, what if it sells after only a few weeks in your store? I can attest to the fact that a marine tank is not really "established" (except for the nitrogen cycle) for many months.

I'm sure you are now sick of hearing this repeated, but I have to continue to say that it is a dangerous idea....regardless of whether you use aquacultured livestock. The moral end of it is probably annoying you, but it evenly ties into your future sales and the success of this project as well.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 03:56 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Konrade
I agree with everyone and if you really want saltwater tanks than set up like a 55 gallon with lr and some fish as a display tank and try it out for a while. Then decide if you want to go ahead with anything else. Also, the tank will look very pleasing to customers.

Tags
10 gallon, clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com