10 Gallon Freshwater question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Companyassassin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I had a question about making a freshwater setup in a 10 gallon tank. I previously had a betta in the tank, who unfortunately died so I'm looking to stock the tank. Since the tank is empty, I was just browsing freshwater fish. I was wondering if it were possible if an angelfish and 2 or 3 cory catfish (most likely pandas) could live in the 10 gallon together or if it would be considered overstocking? I'd have to check if the tank is tall enough to keep an angelfish, but I believe it is.

I did some research, and I've seen how angelfish generally are kept in shoals of 5-6 angelfish and should not be kept in groups of 2-4. I saw some saying 1 could live alone with some peaceful fish, such as cory catfish. Is this true? I don't want any fish in the tank to be stressed or fight among themselves.

Also, in the event that this setup would work, would it be smart to buy live plants for these fish in addition to what I already have? I was afraid to buy anything live with my betta because they're so gentle and I didn't want to affect the PH levels. If so, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be give!

The cory cats will have no trouble, the angels however i wouldn't as yes they do need a tall tank and they also can get to be around 6" total length. I have a full grown angel in my 26g bowfront (24L x 24H x 16d), and her body alone is the size of my palm and dorsal tip to anal tip she's @ least 6.5 to 7".

Other than the cory cats though maybe some smaller barbs (i recommend cherry or odessa barbs), danios, harlequins, most tetras etc. just adjust shoal sizes accordingly, or you could go with guppies, endlers or maybe platies.

Anyone else with better ideas or suggestions?

The cory cats will have no trouble, the angels however i wouldn't as yes they do need a tall tank and they also can get to be around 6" total length. I have a full grown angel in my 26g bowfront (24L x 24H x 16d), and her body alone is the size of my palm and dorsal tip to anal tip she's @ least 6.5 to 7".

Other than the cory cats though maybe some smaller barbs (i recommend cherry or odessa barbs), danios, harlequins, most tetras etc. just adjust shoal sizes accordingly, or you could go with guppies, endlers or maybe platies.

Anyone else with better ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for your reply, so I measured my tank, its 20"L x 12"H 10"D, so would that be too small for 1 angel in general? I was trying to find a peaceful group that would fit in my tank, as I can't really afford to go up in size right now. I was trying to find something a little different, because I wasn't huge on just have a group of tetras. I was also trying to abide by the "rule of thumb" I saw frequently, 1 gallon/inch so I thought possibly with 1 angel and 2-3 cories it'd squeeze in at 10g. I am open to suggestions.

In my honest personal opinion yes you tank may be too short to fully enjoy the beauty of a happy angelfish (i have also made my mistakes in this hobby and have not only learned from them but have done what you are doing and asked questions here and on other forums to learn things as well). Hmmm something different, just thinking what i'm kept over the past few years...as i said harlequins and odessa barbs are amazingly beautiful especially fully mature male odessa's, both are active and schoal and yet stay around 2 in, I do apologize on my being so limited on what i can recommend for you my lfs is limited in what they can order and i live in newfoundland canada and besides for my regular lfs its a 3 hr drive from the clostest and better supplied lfs stores

It also appears I put this thread in the wrong area, I meant to put this in Freshwater getting started, not salt water. My mistake

Please do not put an Angel in a 10 gallon! I did this when I was 13 and knew nothing about fish... my poor angel was soooo stunted. She looked very strange. Like her eyes were too big for her body. When I upgraded my tank to a 36 bowfront, I swear she grew 3 inches in 3 weeks, and I still think that tank was too small for her. Angelfish get huge, like previous poster mentioned, and they need a lot of space. Keeping them in cramped spaces will shorten a fish's life span significantly. Angels can live as long as 10 or 15 years, and mine sadly died at age 7 because of my ignorance. I know the babies in the store are cute and tiny, but please remember they can grow 8+" top to bottom when full grown and they are extremely intelligent fish.

Back
Top Bottom