10 gallon saltwater: set-up cost estimate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
Toying with the idea of going saltwater with my empty 10 gallon.

I've never done saltwater before, so trying to get an estimate of how much this would cost.

Aside from heater and powerhead, I have no other saltwater equipment. I know cost will vary widely depending on what sorts of liverock/coral I choose - but I'm just looking to get a range.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Skimmer reef octopus ns 80
54$
Sand (rough guess) $15
Light (to support corals, rough guess) $65-$100
Dry live rock $20
Salt for 10 gallons-$10 instant ocean or $15 reef crystals

Before any corals or fish I'll say $150 to $200 in setup cost, completely rough guess, depending on things you do or don't have it will be more or less. The desire for corals drives the build price up, without need of them you could do it for 80 or 90 bucks.

That said a 10 Gallon sw isn't easy to maintain. The startup cost you would save by using a 10 vs a 20-29 gallon will disappear in the first year. My first sw tank was a 20 high, a 20 long would afford a nice buffer against swings compared to a 10.

Fair enough, thanks for your help, everyone.

I'll probably leave my first foray into saltwater to a bigger tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sadly, it is sometimes for the best. People that run nano tanks love them. When I had my 55, being able to do large water changes to help with issues was a nice assist.

I think if you can contain yourself to very low stocking, and very close eye on maintenance, there is no need to discourage an effort.

But the OP needs to be fully aware of the possibility of failure if they are not ready to assume the added responsibility.

Entry level 40 breeder, drill it and plug the holes, set up and cycle the fowlr, get an itch for coral and go full reef. You can do it for $500 or you can do it for $3000. Depends on your skill sets and willingness to put hands on the tank daily, weekly, monthly, never??

I have one 15 gal. nano tank running. I only use it as a baby grow out tank. I have a 175 gal hr. canister on it. the occupants of the tank right now. 1 baby many banded moray,1 nemo,1 maroon clown,1 baby bright eyed damsel,1 baby zebra blenny, 1 coralbanded shrimp,30 hermit crabs,and some small brittle star fish. The load I have is not for any beginner you will wipe out for sure. These fish only stay in this tank until they are large enough to be moved to larger tanks. The moray was only the size of a toothpick when I got him. he is 4 in now. Still to small to be moved to a larger tank. He has to be target fed. In a larger tank with larger fish he would starve. This tank is more work than any lg tank I have.

Back
Top Bottom