10 Gallon Set Up Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have decided to try a 10 gallon SW tank, but I am not sure what to do about the set up. The tank currently is a FW and contains only one fish and a HOB Mini Penguin can't find the box and that's all it says on the filter. I don't have a lighting hood on it so I will need to get one. What do I need to make this tank a success? I want LR, LS and Corals in it too. Any Ideas? TIA

Is this your first SW tank? Do you have any experience in SW? Honestly, a 10gal. SW tank is pretty hard to maintain, especially if it is your first tank. It can be do, however. They do require a lot more time and attention then larger tanks. You may want to look into a 29 or 38 gal. to start with. the bigger the better. Also, buy a good book on SW tanks. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fener. Packed full of good info.

The smaller the tank the more difficult it will be to keep stable in the begining. But once you have an understanding of your tank it will become easy for you.
Off the top of my head you will need these things just to get it setup for a cycle:
1. powerheads to add water current.
2. 50W-100W heater
3. lights. for the corals or anything else that requires photosynthesis to live.
4. hrydrometer or refractometer to test the salinity.
5. salt mix,water, live rock, and sand
6. test kits
7. research, research
8. patience

Lando suggest a very good book to begin with. I would also browse salt water forums a lot.

Lando, yes this is my first SW Tank. I don't have any expierence with SW. I will look for some good books. What kind of powerheads should I use? How much light should I have? What kind of lighting system do you recommend? I can get the hydrometer. Never seen a refractometer before. I have a test kit. About the salt mix what kind should I go get? And for the Live rock I have heard that you need only about .75 -1.5 Lbs of LR per gallon. At my LFS they sell some live rock 4.99 for a lb. Is that a good price? And for the sand does it have to be certain type of sand?

the first thing you should do is decide what type of tank you want. In a 10 gal, I would suggest a nano reef. It will give you more to look at. A tank of that size should only house two very small fish. That can be pretty boaring after a while. I would go for the LR/LS. Shoot for 15-20 lbs of LR. This will help out greatly with biological filtration. If you want a reef in the future, you will need a decent lighting fixture. Look at no less then a CF hood. I would still urge you to look into starting at least a 29gal. The cost is not that much more and it would be a better size to start with. Good luck...lando

Nano Reef means mini reef? If so then that's why I wanted to set up a 10 Gal. I'll go with the LR. Do I mix different kinds of LR or will one kind do? Well I would go with something bigger, but there is not enough space in the house right now. How much watts should I have? What kind of powerhead should I get for the tank?

Yes, nano does mean small. You can get just one kind of LR, but mixing different kinds will give you more bio-diversity. I suggest www.liverocks.com for great acu-cultured LR. For pwerheads go with two mini-jet 606s. Arrange them so that they create a caotic water current in your tank.

Hmm I was wondering if I should go to my LFS to get some LR since I don't need too much and I don't want to spend too much money on shipping as well.

I wouldn't want to cheap out on the stuff, but i saw the shipping was nearly just as much as the LR and coming to a total of 90 dollars I didn't want to spend that much. Btw I was searching on Bigalsonline and I saw a Current USA Satellite Dual 2x40 Watt 20"Power Compact Strip Light W/Lunar Light It costed about 99.99 and it's pretty much expensive to me. So would I be able to get away with the same thing cept only 1x40 Watt? I want to be able to keep Corals and was wondering if 1x40 Watt is good enough. If not I guess I'll go with the 2x40 Watt for 99.99 Unless there is something else that's better or something.

I just found a site with a Coralife 20" 2x36 Watts.
The bulbs are:
(1) 36 Watt 10000K Super Daylight and (1) 36 Watt Actinic Blue.
* (2) 36 Watt 10000K & Actinic Blue Combo Bulbs
* (2) 36 Watt 6500K Freshwater Bulbs
Which one should I pick? Not the last one since I'm not going to have a FW tank. Should I go with the first or second one? Oh btw does the watts for the actinic bulbs count toward the watts per gallon? Should I use this fixture for my 10 gallon?
That's the site for the lighting fixture.
http://www.petmeister.com/item2746.htm

Back
Top Bottom