10 gallon start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetcarolinex3

Aquarium Advice Activist
I wanna start a 10 gallon with live rock and a clownfish and eventually upgrade to a bigger tank. Does anyone have any good substrate, filter, or any other suggestions? Thanks!

Personally I wouldn't do a clown in a ten as most call for at least a 20g if not a 30g. As far a "substrate", you'll need live sand. Basic rule of thumb is 1lb/gal. LR and LS will reduce the amount of water space you have to work with also.

you can use play sand but you need to find one that has no silicates in it
I would say do a 20 long better swimming are for a clown , try to get a Ocellaris Clownfish
as they stay a lot smaller than the others since you plan on a small tank
as for rock just get base rock 1# to 1 1/2# per gal

Personally I wouldn't do a clown in a ten as most call for at least a 20g if not a 30g. As far a "substrate", you'll need live sand. Basic rule of thumb is 1lb/gal. LR and LS will reduce the amount of water space you have to work with also.

I just want to start it in the 10gal and then move to 30gal.

you can use play sand but you need to find one that has no silicates in it
I would say do a 20 long better swimming are for a clown , try to get a Ocellaris Clownfish
as they stay a lot smaller than the others since you plan on a small tank
as for rock just get base rock 1# to 1 1/2# per gal

I'm gonna start the sand and rock in the 10 gallon and them get a 30 or so gallon with a bowed front and then add the fish

IMO it seems to be more pain than necessary. Once cycled in the 10 and then moved over, you'll need 3 times everything that's in the 10. Then another cycle.

That does sound like a pain. I'll just wait till I can afford a 30 gallon

If you wait for the sale, get a 40 breeder for 40 bucks then turn the ten into a sump. You will like the extra 6" to scape.

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure it's only the 10, both 20s, 29, 40, and 55 standard tanks

I haven't seen them included in the sale. The tanks in the sale are the standard rectangular tanks. I know they aren't as "fancy", but you can't beat the deal. Best bet to get a deal on a bowfront would be CL.

Bowed fronts can be harder to light sometimes too.
You can do some really cool things with 40b...

They can make finding a flow pattern that works difficult too. +1 on the 40b, IMO the best basic tank out there, almost perfect for a reef setup

I have a custom stand for a 29 gallon would that be big enough for a small reef?

Back
Top Bottom