Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If u go with the 20 gallon you'll be OK with a pair of ocellaris clowns. But that's about it as far a fish. I would definitely get live rock as this would help filtration a lot. If you don't have plans of a sump I would recommend an HOB protein Skimmer. I have the aqua c remora on my 35 and it works GREAT. I would also recommend a sand bed or bare bottom. Don't do what I did and get crushed (cursed) coral!

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
He says 2 clowns are horrible stock because you are overloading the tank with bioload. It's too much for that tank unless you are religious with water changes every few days. This is especially true because you want an anemone and they need very high water quality. General rule of thumb is 30 gallons for one clownfish- 10-15 for each thereafter.

I would say make one clown and the tank reef for a 20. But no other fish.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok, I have a quick question. I'm in college, but I will end up living in the dorms. I am able to have a 20-gallon tank, but I will have to move fish every once in a while dependent on the dorm I'm in? Do they travel well or what is a hardy species that does? Thanks for your time.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chron1204

Either fish only or fish with live rock. I am able to do a 20-gallon long or tall ( I have both ) which is better? Thanks for the help!
sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the 20L. The ten gallon is too small. In general nothing really moves "well" . Are u thinking u would move once a year?
Old 08-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

[QUOTE="200 gallon reef"]

sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the 20L. The ten gallon is too small. In general nothing really moves "well" . Are u thinking u would move once a year?
Old 08-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

About 4 times per year, I know that a lot but in both places there would be a salt tank for them. Instead of 2 clowns and an anemone, I think I'm going to do 1 clown and an emerald crab. Again thanks for this.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have heard some say their clown will host a large feather duster which you could have. Easily added later on if you want to. Although, moving might be harder on that than the fish.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Clowns will host anything! Feather dusters, corals, powerheads! Depends in the fish. They aren't called clowns for nothing. Mine host a crevasse in my rock.LOL if you do decide to go reef I wouldn't highly recommend the emerald crab. Maybe a cleaner shrimp? I love my cleaner shrimp. He cleans my hand when I put in the tank. As far as a hardy fish clowns are pretty hardy but chromis are about the easiest. Damsels too but they can be aggressive which is no problem if ur only gonna have one.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87
Clowns will host anything! Feather dusters, corals, powerheads! Depends in the fish. They aren't called clowns for nothing. Mine host a crevasse in my rock.LOL if you do decide to go reef I wouldn't highly recommend the emerald crab. Maybe a cleaner shrimp? I love my cleaner shrimp. He cleans my hand when I put in the tank. As far as a hardy fish clowns are pretty hardy but chromis are about the easiest. Damsels too but they can be aggressive which is no problem if ur only gonna have one.
Thats possible, but not 100% true. I have had 2 clowns for many months each and they dont host squat.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yep. They're silly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com