10-gallon SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chron1204

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am planning to set up a 10 gallon for a saltwater, since that is all I will have when I go to college. I have eight freshwater tanks that are doing great. I have 2 fives, 2 40's, 2 55's, a 56, and a 29 gallon. What should I do to at least start planning my tank. I have been doing some research, but not a lot YET. I know to do a lot of research. What would you recommend? Thanks

They is a very long answer. . So lets take it in parts. First part - what type of salt water tank do u want?

200 gallon reef said:
They is a very long answer. . So lets take it in parts. First part - what type of salt water tank do u want?

Either fish only or fish with live rock. I am able to do a 20-gallon long or tall ( I have both ) which is better? Thanks for the help!

Depends on what fish you are looking at getting. Some fish like to travel vertically in the water column , and some travel more on the horizontal plane.

200 gallon reef said:
Depends on what fish you are looking at getting. Some fish like to travel vertically in the water column , and some travel more on the horizontal plane.

I'm interested in the blue damselfish and a pair of clowns. I may get an anemone for the clowns. I did hear that a beginner should not start with an anemone so I may just do the fish.

The clowns are a great idea. The damsel are some very aggressive fish. it sounds like the 20 L would work best. As for the anenome. . I have had mine for a year andi love it , but the catch is they require a good light source which is not needed for a fowlr. The reef capable lighting is significantly more money.

A pair of clowns in a 10 gallon is not a great idea in my opinion. They need a minimum of 20 gallons, so if you are desperate for those clowns then you will need a bigger tank.

200 gallon reef said:
The clowns are a great idea. The damsel are some very aggressive fish. it sounds like the 20 L would work best. As for the anenome. . I have had mine for a year andi love it , but the catch is they require a good light source which is not needed for a fowlr. The reef capable lighting is significantly more money.

With a pair of clowns and a anemone, what, if any, other fish would you recommend? I want the anemone so I will save for those lights.

Chron1204 said:
With a pair of clowns and a anemone, what, if any, other fish would you recommend? I want the anemone so I will save for those lights.

Alreadly a horrible stock with 2 clowns.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Alreadly a horrible stock with 2 clowns.

I'm new to this, why would clowns be a horrible stock and what would you suggest? Thanks

If u go with the 20 gallon you'll be OK with a pair of ocellaris clowns. But that's about it as far a fish. I would definitely get live rock as this would help filtration a lot. If you don't have plans of a sump I would recommend an HOB protein Skimmer. I have the aqua c remora on my 35 and it works GREAT. I would also recommend a sand bed or bare bottom. Don't do what I did and get crushed (cursed) coral!

He says 2 clowns are horrible stock because you are overloading the tank with bioload. It's too much for that tank unless you are religious with water changes every few days. This is especially true because you want an anemone and they need very high water quality. General rule of thumb is 30 gallons for one clownfish- 10-15 for each thereafter.

I would say make one clown and the tank reef for a 20. But no other fish.

Ok, I have a quick question. I'm in college, but I will end up living in the dorms. I am able to have a 20-gallon tank, but I will have to move fish every once in a while dependent on the dorm I'm in? Do they travel well or what is a hardy species that does? Thanks for your time.

Chron1204 said:
Either fish only or fish with live rock. I am able to do a 20-gallon long or tall ( I have both ) which is better? Thanks for the help!

sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the 20L. The ten gallon is too small. In general nothing really moves "well" . Are u thinking u would move once a year?

200 gallon reef said:
sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the 20L. The ten gallon is too small. In general nothing really moves "well" . Are u thinking u would move once a year?

About 4 times per year, I know that a lot but in both places there would be a salt tank for them. Instead of 2 clowns and an anemone, I think I'm going to do 1 clown and an emerald crab. Again thanks for this.

I have heard some say their clown will host a large feather duster which you could have. Easily added later on if you want to. Although, moving might be harder on that than the fish.

Clowns will host anything! Feather dusters, corals, powerheads! Depends in the fish. They aren't called clowns for nothing. Mine host a crevasse in my rock.LOL if you do decide to go reef I wouldn't highly recommend the emerald crab. Maybe a cleaner shrimp? I love my cleaner shrimp. He cleans my hand when I put in the tank. As far as a hardy fish clowns are pretty hardy but chromis are about the easiest. Damsels too but they can be aggressive which is no problem if ur only gonna have one.

paul87 said:
Clowns will host anything! Feather dusters, corals, powerheads! Depends in the fish. They aren't called clowns for nothing. Mine host a crevasse in my rock.LOL if you do decide to go reef I wouldn't highly recommend the emerald crab. Maybe a cleaner shrimp? I love my cleaner shrimp. He cleans my hand when I put in the tank. As far as a hardy fish clowns are pretty hardy but chromis are about the easiest. Damsels too but they can be aggressive which is no problem if ur only gonna have one.

Thats possible, but not 100% true. I have had 2 clowns for many months each and they dont host squat.

Back
Top Bottom