Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2003, 09:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

10 gallon tank ideas

i just picked up a 10 gallon tank for .99 (lfs was having a sale) and i have no idea what to do with it!!! I was thinking everyone here might be able to help out with some ideas. I really don't want to do a nano reef, so any ideas other then that would help. I was thinking maybe a dwarf seahorse tank or maybe even an octopus (haven't done any research on requirements to keep one though).

Old 01-24-2003, 09:54 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
How about a refuge for an existing tank.

I would not suggest either seahorse or octopus.

Seahorses are for advanced hobbists only as they have very specific food and enviorment requirements.

I was in my most local LFS the other day and I was fuming when I saw two seahorses in their tanks for sale.

Octopus while being a great idea are also very strong. I was watching a show on them the other day on Discovery. They said a 1lb octopus has the strenght to lift a 50 lb lid off a tank. They compaired that to a man being able to lift a box car above his head.

Also they have no bones in their body aside from their beak in their mouth. So anything that is larger than this beak they have the ability to squeeze thru.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

i was thinking about setting up a hospital tank or a quarentine tank but that just seems so boring. i know that its probably the best idea, but i realy want another tank. plus i have no room under the 55 to hold a hospital tank and i realy don't want to set it in the open because i feel it would be an "eye sore". any other ideas. if i set the tank up correctly for a octo how hard are the to keep and would a 10 gallon even be large enough for one?
Old 01-24-2003, 10:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

my other idea was to set up a brackish tank with some puffers. they are cool little fish and seem to have quite the personality. anyone have experience with these.( i know this is in the wrong forum, sorry)
Old 01-24-2003, 11:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nejsux
In my personal experience (&that of my friends) puffers are nippy little buggers and although they are cool looking & a lot of fun, they are very prone to disease. It also really depends on the type of puffer you get. Some are salt, some are slightly brackish, some are almost fresh. They also require some special care. Do a search for puffers and you'll find a goldmine of info.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you don't already have on, I think On the Q/hospital tank idea is a good one. Using the advice on this board on setting up a quarentine tank, i store my 10 gallon until it's needed. Then get it up and running in about a week with water from my main tank to Quarentine any new additions.

A few minutes browsing thru the 'sick fish" forum and reading all the horror stories of new fish infecting established tanks convinced me that it was well worth it.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If I had a 10 gallon (that I didn't need for a refugium or a q-tank) I'd pour in 3 inches of sand and add 4 pounds of live rock and get me a mantis shrimp to watch.

Ok, I know, I know.... they are little monsters! But it would be a blast to watch him dig tunnels and rearrange the rock all the time. He would be easy to feed cause' they eat almost anything and you could treat him with a fat turbo snail. Yum! On very rare occasions they have been known to break glass so I wouldn't wear red gloves and tap the tank loudly.

Sounds like fun to me!

Old 01-24-2003, 04:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

that shrimp is awsome! where can i find out more information on those little ctriiters and how do you go about getting yor hands on one
Old 01-24-2003, 06:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Most of the time people get them as unwanted hitchhikers on live rock. They can wreak some serious havok in a reef tank and are usually trapped and killed. Bummer huh? Some people even EAT them!

But if you have a species tank that you could dedicate to one, thats a different story! They come in all kinds of colors too!

RC has a Mantis Shrimp Forum that has some pretty dedicated hobbiests. Sometimes you can even find people giving them away.

Also The Blueboard has some great info!

You can get a peacock (rainbow) mantis here. You will have to hunt around for the more rare colors. They range from $25 to $60.

LOL! I want one!
Old 01-24-2003, 07:52 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
www.transfishsupplies.com has them on sale this month. Check it out.

Go to the corals and inverts section. They are 10 bucks.

Tags
10 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com