Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-16-2005, 03:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
Originally Posted by klam
Even if you use existing media your tank might still have a mini-cycle. It would be safe to wait maybe a couple of days and test your tank before adding the clown. No need to add the raw shrimp or the fish for the cycle
This is what I am hoping for......Im gonna watch the amonia levels, to see what happens. Im going to do this as a surprise, but it will be originally set up in my room....

neon_hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to tinman
The filter in that kit your talking about at walmart sucks. I have a ten gallon SW set up and have got away with not having a powerhead by using a HOB filter rated for a 20-60 gallon. I have it sitting right in the middle on the back wall of the tank and it produces perfect current to the whole tank. I used a skilter 250 but I would say the regent 20-40 filter that sales for $30 at walmart would be just as good. Also the kit at walmart has Incandlescent lights. If it were me I would peice my own kit together.

tank-9.99 walmart
heater - 13.99 walmart
filter(regent stated above)- 29.99 walmart
Flourescent hood - 19.99 walmart

alittle more expensive, but I started my sons barb tank in one of those kits. Within 6 months the only peice I was still using was the tank.

just my 2 cents

tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:52 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
I use a whisper power filter as a fuge and a minjet ph for my 10 gal.

I also used LR and LS from my existing system and saw no real cycle. I have only had corals in it though.

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote

10 gallon, set up, tan, tank set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com