Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2005, 03:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

10 gallon tank set up

My roommate has a 5 year old daughter who wants "nemo". I dont want another clown in my tank, and have been thinking of setting up her a tank in her room. I would be the one taking care of the tank, but I was walking through walmart, and saw they have a 10 gallon tropical fish tank with heater, lights, and fliter for like 30$. Every saltwater tank I have seen has a sump, but I know for a 10 gallon there is no need for it. Would I be safe putting about 10 lbs of argonate substrate in the tank and 1 large peice 8-10 lb live rock in there for her? If I cycle the tank, it should work right? I was thinking of taking an existing peice of live rock from my tank an put it in this one, as well as take about 5 gallons of water from my tank, and 5 gallons of new salt water. If it comes with the heater, and the lights, and I do the LR, substrate and water, is there anything else I will need? I dont want to run a skimmer, either...

Old 03-16-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

From what I have heared it sound like a nano tank minus the coral. You might want to get a power head for water movement they are very cheap and would help alot in gas exchange. You will need to keep up on the water changes butI dont see no reason it wouldnt work.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

A clown needs a bigger tank generally. A 20 probably doesn't cost much more. You don't have to have a skimmer or a sump on anything smaller than a 20 or so. Yeah it's great for water quality but with that small of a tank it's just too easy to do frequent water changes. We have a maroon clown in a 20 with a very good filter and about 25 pounds of base and live rock and the water stays perfect. Plus your tank will cycle faster if you use water and filter media from your main tank.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 03:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Will I actually have to cycle the tank? I am assuming that becuase I am going to use an existing peice of live rock, I shouldnt actually have to cycle the tank. I should be able to put the LR in there, an fill it with salt water and it should work right?
Old 03-16-2005, 03:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You still need to cycle it.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You are going to have an ammonia spike. I used water, cc,filter media, and lr from my main tank and still had to go through a mini cycle of about 9 days. Keep an eye on it for a few days before buying fish and it will save your daughter some heartache.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Since I am using existing media which already has the benificial bacteria, will I still need to add a fish (or dead shrimp) to cycle it? I was hoping just by putting the LR in there, I wouldnt have to do that...
Old 03-16-2005, 04:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A perc or ocellaris clown will do good in a 10g. Joyce Wilkerson states in her book that a 10g will house a pair of clowns just fine.

Definately get a small powerhead that is rated for around 100/gph. You probably won't need a stronger power head since you will be having only a fish and maybe some inverts
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can cycle with live rock only. Even if you didn't have the other tanks bacteria as a starter.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Even if you use existing media your tank might still have a mini-cycle. It would be safe to wait maybe a couple of days and test your tank before adding the clown. No need to add the raw shrimp or the fish for the cycle

klam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, set up, tan, tank set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com