100 gallon corner build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well its up and running, just waiting on the dust storm to settle. The only problem I am foreseeing and the wife as already pointed it out to me, so I know it will be a problem! Is the light fixture (metal halogen), is very very very bright and the fan is very loud. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out with this, not so much the brightness issue, but more the loud fan. Can I replace this or am I just going to have to suck it up?

Side note..I am researching LED’s and I enjoy the DIY thing so I will probably be making one myself. How do I judge how many LED’s to get and will the LED’s provide sufficient light for and coral? I remember a thread with Carey doing DIY LED's system...cant find it though.

Ahh I only inquired about the DIY led's. It's far too much for my meager mind to get a handle on. LOL You need Mr x for that question I think, he's the lighting guru. :)
As far as the halides noise and fans, well you just have to get used to it I guess. You need all the fans for cooling so theres no way around it. I have gotten used to my fans on my T5 setup, it sounds like a jet engine, especially when it first fires up. You got the unit new correct? If so I don't think changing out the fans will help.

I tried to replace the fan...plugged it it in and sparks!! It was pretty **** exciting in my house for a few seconds! Now both fans are broke...buy on the bright side...there is no noise!

Your setup looks awesome! Can you explain your sump system setup? What skimmer you are using? Did you buy the sump or make it? I am still in the planning stages...

Thanks SEA!

The sump came with the package I bought. It is a prefabricated sump, that has a Octopus skinnier crammed in it...with a ref in the middle...working well so far.

Here is the latest...just letting it cycle. What do y'all (I am from Texas an y'all is a word) thing of it?

It is so blue cause I just turned in the light.

Attachments

• image-1187666387.jpg
    image-1187666387.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3840991117.jpg
    image-3840991117.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 89
Nice. I really like the rock cave. This is a thought there is a window next to the tank, you might get an algae problem.

Yeah I was worried about that too...but it's the only place the aquarium "fit" in the house. We don't get to much sunlight through there. Thanks for the heads up.

Just a quick update...had my perimeters checked at the LFS...gave me the all clear to add fish! Was pretty dang excited. Added a couple of fire fish and my cat loves them and won't stop watching them! Very cool!!

Attachments

• image-3390734779.jpg
    image-3390734779.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 75
Question...I have three 1050's in the tank. I noticed the two firefish seem to be fighting the current, and swimming against it non stop...is this ok? Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Unless you have the powerheads pointed so that the entire tank is a whirlpool I think they will be ok. Very small fish I'm sure they will adapt and find a happy place to swim in that monster of a tank. lol

Just a quick update...had my perimeters checked at the LFS...gave me the all clear to add fish! Was pretty dang excited. Added a couple of fire fish and my cat loves them and won't stop watching them! Very cool!!
Congrats on your new fish, I like Firefish! Nice choice! Now your cat has hours and hours of entertainment! :lol:

Thanks for the comments guys...Carey I followed your suggestion and pointed two at each other and one downward toward she sand bed.

The fishies will adapt, you should be having a nice mix of flow so they will find their place. If the one pointing at the sand bed is causing any extra turbulence that you find could be causing an issue just adjust ot to maybe flow at ypur rocks. Either way your priority is keeping the sand bed clear of debris and allowing it to be captured by your filter.

I've been experimenting with different positions for my power heads lately and still think my initial thoughts and suggestions are better than anything I've come up with lately. :-D

Back
Top Bottom