Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

100 gallon fowlr requirements?

I am thinking of starting a 100 gallon fowlr tank and id like to know the requirements and maintenance compared to a 25 gallon coral tank which i have. I am going to have metal halides with 20k bulbs on the fowlr and do want to keep a bulb tip anemone in it so i will need the water to be clean. I am going to be keeping some larger predatory fish in the tank such as eels and lionfish. Any suggestions and advice appreciated thanks.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I also want to know what if any inverts i can keep with eels and lionfish. Large crabs, lobster, cleaner shrimp, starfish, cucumber, urchins?

Old 08-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Keeping a 100 gal FOWLR is going to be a lot easier to maintain then that 25 gal reef, there isn't much difference other then the lack of coral. I don't know of any inverts that would survive in a predatory tank. The urchin might and a very large crab or lobster might but I'm not sure.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

In which ways is it easier? Less water changes? I am currently doing weekly 20% water changes for my nano.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The bigger the aquarium the less of a chance something can go horribly wrong also most parameters are more stable. You should still do weekly water changes, its just that a bigger tank is less sensitive.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would not add the anemone, the shrimp, and the halides. then it will be easy to keep. you'll lose shrimp, and the anemone is going to be hard to keep happy because the amount of food the fish are going to consume will make the parameters less than ideal. nitrates will most likely be high.
i would either do a full reef, or a full FOWLR.

i would also get a giant protein skimmer.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Suppose i keep the anemone and halides what do u think i can expect in terms of equipment and maintenance?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, an oversized protein skimmer would be a good idea. weekly water changes, and moderate feeding would be a big help also. it's going to be hard to do since the most exciting thing about keeping predators is watching them eat.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok so im trying to plan out my filtration i was thinkin having an overflow to the sump. 1st chamber filter pads, 2nd chamber skimmer, 3rd chamber refugium, 4th chamber return pump. Ive never done sumps or refugiums before so please share advice and suggestions. Also is an overflow an issue with keeping eels.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

a refugium isn't a bad idea. as far as filter pads go, you can use large filter socks. just buy 5 or so of them, because you will change them out regularly. you can turn them inside out and toss them in the washing machine (without soap of course), and they come out good.
i don't have any experience with eels, but you can always rig up some sort of mesh cover.

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com