100 gallon fowlr with inverts stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolee0722

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is this an okay stocking list for a 100 gallon saltwater tank or is it too much of a bioload? I intend to add 1-4 fish every month or so and the angels will come after a year or so:
2 ocellaris clownfish
4-5 orange or purple firefish (all the same color, just can't decide which one)
3 acares reef chromis (grow to be about 2 inches)
1 exquisite fairy wrasse
1 flame angel
1 multicolor angel
1 goldflake angel

Please wait at least 24 hours to bump. Someone will help you if they can. Thanks.

Ok, it's just that I'm trying to figure out what size tanks to start with and I want to figure out soon so I can start making a list of supplies to get to build and create a saltwater tank. And once I have figured out what size tank to get, I can finish up my research on saltwater equipment.

Come on guys. Someone please reply with an opinion.

I'll probably be keeping a lot of cleaner type shtimp and a lot of snails too, but no crabs, including hermit crabs(I heard that they will eat snails). That's about it and maybe an anemone after a year or so.

Just make sure there is food for whatever you put in there. In other words, don't add 30 snails if you don't have a bit of algae. All you will have in the end is 30 snail shells.
Yes, most hermits kill snails out of instinct. I once saw a hermit kill 3 snails and change his shell 3 times in 1 day.
That said you could get the tiny red leg reef hermits. They don't get very big. Not big enough to hijack a normal sized astrea snail anyway.

Also, how many small fish like firefish do you think I could add? What about medium sized fish, like dwarf angels and wrasse?

Well, if you want a fish that eats pods, I would skip the fairy wrasses. They will compete with anything else for the pod population. If you don't care about that, a pair (male and female) of flame wrasses would be nice. You like those expensive fish.....check them out.
I would keep 1 dwarf angel since they may be aggressive towards each other.
Firefish, you could add quite a few of. Half dozen if you really liked them.
All of this is contingent on an excellent filtration system of course.
Get a giant skimmer.

Yes I was thinking of getting a reef octopus skimmer rated for 250 gallons. I have also read that if you set up your live rock in a way, then you can keep two dwarfs. So, I'm thinking maybe instead of one exquisite fairy wrasse I will get a pair and maybe one other small fish and that will be it. Would that be a decent bioload? Also, do you think this would be the max or I could add one or two more smaller fish?

It totally depends on the fish, and a 100 gallon tank is not a huge tank. I don't think arranging the rock makes a bit of difference. When you feed all fish will be in the same spot anyway. I don't know what people are thinking when they write that stuff about arranging rocks and other nonsense. It's totally up to the fish. One guy could have 2 pigmy angels that get along fine, while you might get two, and they relentlessly attack each other.

There are many fish you could get instead. How about something in the rabbit fish family, and/or one of the more docile triggers....Engineer gobies are cool too. The closest thing to an eel without the predation.

I don't think a trigger will fit in my tank, but I have been looking at engineer goby. A mandarin is out of question now, but as you said, engineer goby are as close as you can get to an eel and personally, I really love goby because they look like eels but are easy to take care of and not predatory.

Back
Top Bottom