Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

100 gallon newbie here.... HELP!

So I am getting a new 100gallon tank this weekend and would like to set it up as a Salt water. I have a current Saltwater tank set up @ 30 gallons and jsut want more...lol

Questions:
1. Does anyone know where I can purchase dead rock in Calgary or a good in expensive place for live rock?
2. How much should I get?
3. How long should I cycle the tank before I put anything in it? (the 30 gallon cycled for a few days before I added hermit crabs to it.)

Any other advice would be AWESOM!!!

Old 08-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer_luna
So I am getting a new 100gallon tank this weekend and would like to set it up as a Salt water. I have a current Saltwater tank set up @ 30 gallons and jsut want more...lol

Questions:
1. Does anyone know where I can purchase dead rock in Calgary or a good in expensive place for live rock?
2. How much should I get?
3. How long should I cycle the tank before I put anything in it? (the 30 gallon cycled for a few days before I added hermit crabs to it.)

Any other advice would be AWESOM!!!
I would recommend just getting dead base rock from reefrocks.net. Great rock at a killer price. I like using it versus live rock because I can keep pest out.

Are you planning on breaking down the other tank? If so, just seed the base rock in the 100 gallon with the live rock you have in the 30. Way cheaper to go this way.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #3

Thanks I will have to look into that, We are not going to close down the other tank we are just looking to start a newone. we were going to take a few of the live rock pcs out of it to start the new tank though...

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #4

[QUOTE=Rhino;2093967]I would recommend just getting dead base rock from reefrocks.net. Great rock at a killer price. I like using it versus live rock because I can keep pest out.[QUOTE]

Do you know if they ship to Canada?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not a clue, I seem to remember seeing something that says they do.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #6

How long should I cycle my tank before I put anything into it other then Rock?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Once nitrites read 0
Old 08-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Let me get this right... you already have a salt water tank? If you transfering everything over including your existing live rock there will never be a cycle... since rock carry the bb not the water itself. If you want to add more live rock you can just add dead rock i perfer rock from bulk reef supply equals a dollar a pound. You existing live rock will seed the base rock.. i wouldnt add any new fish right untill your transfer is complete. After that add one fish every two weeks till your reasearch shows you are at max bioload.

My opinion on how much rock to add depends on how light weight and porus the rock is. Bulk reef supply if you went that route 1 pound per gallon.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith
Let me get this right... you already have a salt water tank? If you transfering everything over including your existing live rock there will never be a cycle... since rock carry the bb not the water itself. If you want to add more live rock you can just add dead rock i perfer rock from bulk reef supply equals a dollar a pound. You existing live rock will seed the base rock.. i wouldnt add any new fish right untill your transfer is complete. After that add one fish every two weeks till your reasearch shows you are at max bioload.

My opinion on how much rock to add depends on how light weight and porus the rock is. Bulk reef supply if you went that route 1 pound per gallon.
This is not true. You could end up with a mini cycle. Also, she said the other tank is staying up so they will not move everything over.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino

This is not true. You could end up with a mini cycle. Also, she said the other tank is staying up so they will not move everything over.
Okay if i move every thing over that i have in a 55 gallon over to a 120 gallon i will cycle? Why? How to so?.. provide me with the insight why?... if he/ she is not breaking down the tank then of cource he will have to cycle.

Tags
gallon, newbie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com