100 gallon newbie here.... HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennifer_luna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I am getting a new 100gallon tank this weekend and would like to set it up as a Salt water. I have a current Saltwater tank set up @ 30 gallons and jsut want more...lol

Questions:
1. Does anyone know where I can purchase dead rock in Calgary or a good in expensive place for live rock?
2. How much should I get?
3. How long should I cycle the tank before I put anything in it? (the 30 gallon cycled for a few days before I added hermit crabs to it.)

Any other advice would be AWESOM!!! :D

Jennifer_luna said:
So I am getting a new 100gallon tank this weekend and would like to set it up as a Salt water. I have a current Saltwater tank set up @ 30 gallons and jsut want more...lol

Questions:
1. Does anyone know where I can purchase dead rock in Calgary or a good in expensive place for live rock?
2. How much should I get?
3. How long should I cycle the tank before I put anything in it? (the 30 gallon cycled for a few days before I added hermit crabs to it.)

Any other advice would be AWESOM!!! :D

I would recommend just getting dead base rock from reefrocks.net. Great rock at a killer price. I like using it versus live rock because I can keep pest out.

Are you planning on breaking down the other tank? If so, just seed the base rock in the 100 gallon with the live rock you have in the 30. Way cheaper to go this way.

Thanks I will have to look into that, We are not going to close down the other tank we are just looking to start a newone. we were going to take a few of the live rock pcs out of it to start the new tank though...

Thanks.

Let me get this right... you already have a salt water tank? If you transfering everything over including your existing live rock there will never be a cycle... since rock carry the bb not the water itself. If you want to add more live rock you can just add dead rock i perfer rock from bulk reef supply equals a dollar a pound. You existing live rock will seed the base rock.. i wouldnt add any new fish right untill your transfer is complete. After that add one fish every two weeks till your reasearch shows you are at max bioload.

My opinion on how much rock to add depends on how light weight and porus the rock is. Bulk reef supply if you went that route 1 pound per gallon.

jsmith said:
Let me get this right... you already have a salt water tank? If you transfering everything over including your existing live rock there will never be a cycle... since rock carry the bb not the water itself. If you want to add more live rock you can just add dead rock i perfer rock from bulk reef supply equals a dollar a pound. You existing live rock will seed the base rock.. i wouldnt add any new fish right untill your transfer is complete. After that add one fish every two weeks till your reasearch shows you are at max bioload.

My opinion on how much rock to add depends on how light weight and porus the rock is. Bulk reef supply if you went that route 1 pound per gallon.

This is not true. You could end up with a mini cycle. Also, she said the other tank is staying up so they will not move everything over.

Rhino said:
This is not true. You could end up with a mini cycle. Also, she said the other tank is staying up so they will not move everything over.

Okay if i move every thing over that i have in a 55 gallon over to a 120 gallon i will cycle? Why? How to so?.. provide me with the insight why?... if he/ she is not breaking down the tank then of cource he will have to cycle.

jsmith said:
Okay if i move every thing over that i have in a 55 gallon over to a 120 gallon i will cycle? Why? How to so?.. provide me with the insight why?... if he/ she is not breaking down the tank then of cource he will have to cycle.

Moving over the sand will stir up lots of detritus and could cause a mini cycle during the move. Just search mini cycle in the forum search engine and you will find lots of times that this has happened. Keep in mind though that it is not guaranteed to happen, though it could happen.

Rhino said:
Moving over the sand will stir up lots of detritus and could cause a mini cycle during the move. Just search mini cycle in the forum search engine and you will find lots of times that this has happened. Keep in mind though that it is not guaranteed to happen, though it could happen.

When transferring sand absolutely right. But that is something that should be avoided. Sand is one of the cheapest expenses in this hobby next to the water.

jsmith said:
When transferring sand absolutely right. But that is something that should be avoided. Sand is one of the cheapest expenses in this hobby next to the water.

It coukd still happen outside of transferring sand. Any sort of shock to an established system could cause a mini-cycle. Heck i the OP bought live rock online and didnt cure it properly it would mini-cycle

Back
Top Bottom