100 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zactheninja

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Alright, I've been planning this tank for a few months now and in finally getting to the point where I can fund it and in ready to go.
I have a few questions and things that I'm not sure about so I will ask all that here as a go along. First major one is what overflow box and return pump to go with, I'm struck between the CPR over flow for 600 gph or the CPR overflow for 1200 gph. Is 1200 gph to much flow for a 100 gallon?
I have a huge sump that would normally before around a 200 gallon.
I have a 90 gpd ro/di unit.
I have the the tank, stand, and canopy.
And I'm ordering overflow and rocks this weekend.
Is there anything else I need to start up?
I'm going to get things as I go so skimmer and lighting will have to wait a while.

After a bit of research I think I'm gonna go with the 1200 gph overflow and pump, what's a good pump that would put me at around 1200gph?

I have a 130 gal, I went with a 30 gal sump/fuge combo. I use a 1600 GPH return pump and have two overflows going down to the fuge. So I would say that it's not too much for your size tank.

Pizza101 said:
I have a 130 gal, I went with a 30 gal sump/fuge combo. I use a 1600 GPH return pump and have two overflows going down to the fuge. So I would say that it's not too much for your size tank.

Alright, thanks.
Sounds perfect.

For overflows if you need a pump that's quite and reliable go with a company named eheim it's a German company also if you have a 1200gph overflow you need a pump with less than 1000 gph unless you want your aquarium water to go to your sump 12 times an hour and be cleaned but if you have a budget go with a pump that can do between 500gph and 800 since really your water needs to be cleaned really at least 5 times an hour

For overflows if you need a pump that's quite and reliable go with a company named eheim it's a German company also if you have a 1200gph overflow you need a pump with less than 1000 gph unless you want your aquarium water to go to your sump 12 times an hour and be cleaned but if you have a budget go with a pump that can do between 500gph and 800 since really your water needs to be cleaned really at least 5 times an hour

Partially true. I like a larger return pump, about equal gph of your overflow, and using a ball or gate valve to tune back the flow. This is an easy way to adjust for 90 degree turns and a long straight up return pipe.

Sniperhank said:
Partially true. I like a larger return pump, about equal gph of your overflow, and using a ball or gate valve to tune back the flow. This is an easy way to adjust for 90 degree turns and a long straight up return pipe.

Perfect setup for me as well. If you install a cheap ball valve you can adjust up or down to get the perfect flow going!

Could some of you guys post your plumbing?

That's my next project after I order my overflow box.

Alright just ordered 50 pounds of base rock from reef rocks and 40 pounds of sand.
And ordered the CPR over flow box, rated 1200gph, along with aqualifter pump.

My goodies came from marine depot today, got the overflow box all ready.
Now all I have to do is plumb it so the sump, this Is something I forgot that I would have to refit.
I'm thinking I'll just get something to convert the threaded part into the smoother hose and measure to make sure I get the right size and just plumb straight together. Does that sound about right or should I have a ball valve or something?

Attachments

• image-585842990.jpg
    image-585842990.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 99
  • image-876735677.jpg
    image-876735677.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 106
  • image-1407298750.jpg
    image-1407298750.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 102
Personally I like the flex tubing! It's easy to install, easy to clean, and flexible so you can move things around a bit better other than having to disconnect everything. That's just my thoughts and how I have my setup. I have had mine setup this way for about 5 years now :)

Alright so I'm looking at ordering a mag 12 for my return.
And bio bale for my media.

Skimmer is gonna have to wait for a month or so, I don't need it for now anyways.

And still waiting on my base rock. My sand got here 4 or 5 days ago....

And I'm thinking I'm gonna go to Home Depot one day and pick up the rest of the stuff I need for plumbing.

I believe bio balls hold lots of nitrates and things like that in them. That's just my opinion

Fishfreak1 said:
I believe bio balls hold lots of nitrates and things like that in them. That's just my opinion

Yeah, I'll be cleaning them often.
Bio bale is really easy to clean.

Fishfreak1 said:

Yea bio balls are old school don't bother

Doesn't bio bale (stringy stuff) work in a similar way as bio balls? So they would both be nitrate factories?...If you're maintaining them properly like you said you'll be doing, I'm sure it will be fine, but a hassle too.

Oh I though you misspelled bio balls. Since I never heard of bio bale. Well good luck I'm still looking for a reasonable price for glass around here the lowest price I got so far was $600 in my state and out of state I got a price from glasscages.com for $450 but I would have to pick the glass up from one of their delivery points which is $40 min away.

obscurereef said:
Doesn't bio bale (stringy stuff) work in a similar way as bio balls? So they would both be nitrate factories?...If you're maintaining them properly like you said you'll be doing, I'm sure it will be fine, but a hassle too.

Yeah its the stringy stuff.

Back
Top Bottom