100 gallon stock list; tang advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J8kpin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys

I am planning a 100 gallon tanks stock list. Heres what i am thinking

1 royal gramma
3 firefish
2 bangaii cardinals
Percula clowns
Diamond goby
Six line wrasse:
Spotted cardinal:
Green chromis:
Bicolor Benny:

Heres what i have
Percula clown
Green chromis

I want a purple tang, but i also want a yellow. I have heard that they can be aggressive, but is there a better tanf to put than a yellow? Thanks. J8kpin

the amount of fish that are on that list and the size of the tank..... I would say theres going to be problems.

tangs can be quite aggressive/territorial... especially the yellow tang and even more so the purple tang.

they need quite a bit of room to be comfortable and swim around.

if it is a MUST for you, try to get just one..... I would choose either one or the other definitely not both, and the yellow tang would be the better options between them both, purple can be more aggressive and normally need a bit more swimming space. if its a must.... try to get one really really small and try to put one in last after the rest of your stock

Ok. I am thinking of just the purple. I love the coloration of the purple, so i will probably do that

I have a 100 gallon and this is my list

A yellow Clown goby
an Algae Blenny
A Flame Angel
An Engineer Goby
A diamond Goby
A scissortail dartfish
a firefish
a Gold Stripe Maroon Clown
an Orchid Dottyback( Purple btw)
and I plan on two more gobies.

Works well no issues.

I disagree with the purple tang being more aggressive. I have kept quite a few of them and never saw any aggression out of them. Yellow tangs however, have exhibited a lot of aggressive behavior.
Go with the purple.

Purple tangs are nice. They used to be $170 and up. Now I see them everywhere in my area for $90 small size and $120 medium size.

I think that is what i am doing. I have had a yellow, and it was agressive. I am obsessed with the purple tang, i even have a poster of one in my fish room. :)
They are becoming cheaper, but i still need to save up before buying it. Does anyone have experience with these tangs? I have heard they are easy to keep...

If they stress out, they can all become Ich magnets. How about a Kole tang? They do better in systems your size. I never had problems with any tang unless there was aggression or undersized swimming area issues. Your tank certainly isn't small, but tangs love horizontal swimming areas.

I think any of the tangs with that body type will do ok in smaller systems- yellow, scopus, purple, black...

I think any of the tangs with that body type will do ok in smaller systems- yellow, scopus, purple, black...

You might have left out one zebrasoma for a reason. Sailfin tangs get so big. My LFS has one. It's definitely over a foot long. I've never owned one but apparently they are one of the more peaceful tangs.

Back
Top Bottom