100% Newb having starter questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buminbeer2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, first post and looking for more information on starting a SW reef tank, if possible. My name is Scott and I have NO experiance ever with a tank, other then a scuba diver and know what a large tank looks like from the inside out :) I'm 41, so I have a little sense.

I have bought nothing yet, not even a net and been reseaching for 3 months and reading posts, threads, magazines, and so on. Here is what I think I want. I want to get the 29 gallon Oceanic Biocube and hoping some of you are familar with that. I was wanting that to cut down on a lot of frustration as it appears to have most things included. I don't really need advice on basics like "the right heater", but I don't know anything about power heads, skimmers, and so on and not sure what else is needed with that tank.
I plan on having "live" sand and rock. Beginer easy to grow corals. Not sure of fish, other then I really want a clown and a few damsels to start, I think for a community tank? Of course a cleaner package to boot. Now on to the questions I don't fully understand and any help/suggestions from the above questions to make sure I am ready to start buying the equipment.

Things I do not understand:
"Live" rock and sand. I know these are alive when you buy them, things living on them, but does not the cycling process kill everything off? I can't seem to find that answer and how does things grow back on them? Please explain in tanking 101 terms for dummies. I seem to gather that I need to cycle at least two months, but don't fully undertand it.

Last (for now):
I understand doing a water change weekly. I see a lot of people (on youtube) do nothing more then add salt and water to the correct gravity in a trash can and just dump it in. Does it not have to be the right PH, temp and so on. Also, are there no Nitrates/Nitrites or anything harmful in a fresh batch. If you make one batch a month for weekly changes and sit it in a corner, will not dust, possible small bugs and other things get in it?
Sorry for all these questions, but I'll not spend a dime until mentally I understand as much as I can before I bring new life into this house and risk losing it. Thanks all and your patience, Scott!

Well honestly I am doing planted freshwater, but I wanted to give you a most sincere welcome to AA...the people here are absolutely wonderful, and those that can help you will do so very quickly :) Congrats on doing so much research! I respect a person that has so much patience, and approaches fish loving the right way...as an encouragement things don't always go right the first time, but keep at it :) and you will do fantastically! Welcome again

From what I understand, cycling in saltwater does not kill everything on LR or LS! :) when you cycle you use ammonia, and I believe that what is living on the LR needs ammonia to survive! Mr_X will be a great mentor for you on here! He's a wise man!

Back
Top Bottom