1000 Gph too much for 55Gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just started adding things up

2 Maxi-jet 1200=================490 Gph
1 Maxi-jet 1200 on Aqua C skimmer====295 Gph
1 Fluval 304 Canister filter==========190 Gph

Is this too much movement
I plan on starting the tank up shortly

Thanx
AK

I thought the rule was that you multiply the capacity of the tank times 5 to get the proper amount of gph, (someone please set me straight if this is wrong) which means you're quite a bit over. So unless you are keeping a lot of animals/corals that need a lot of flow, it wouldn't hurt to cut back a little.

Your skimmer won't be moving all 295gph, in fact a tiny fraction. It needs the bigger pump to produce the pressure needed for the spray induction system. And your canister won't be moving all of its rated speed since its below the tank (unless you specified the flow at the lift height already?).

I think you will want your water to turn over between 10 to 20 times an hour. Most people don't include skimmers in their calculations so your looking at about 650 GPH with that setup. Which sounds really good to me!

i am at about that on my 29g. just position your flow so it doesnt directly blast anything. i also dont let my flow carve out the sand. just my thoughts

steve r

Back
Top Bottom