Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-17-2012, 01:53 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
I also ordered Hut Ultra Plastic Polish and Micro-Mesh Sanding Kit to repair the scratches on the acrylic. After researching, it appeared those were the products preferred for best results. Hopefully I can do it without screwing it up. We also have some repair to do to the stand and I need to order new bulbs. Right now there are 2- VHO White Actinic bulbs. When I replace them, should I replace with 2 white's again or 1 white and 1 blue or is there a combo bulb? Would 2 lights be strong enough for some mushrooms and a few other low maintenance corals?

Keimaxbode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Spent the day cleaning rock and hubby working on stand. Took several pictures so will work on posting to Photo Bucket and linking here. I have no idea what kind of protein skimmer came with the set-up. There is no information on it anywhere and hope someone will be able to ID it so I can find out how to set it up. It looks very basic, but I'm not sure if all of the parts are with it. It is a 600 Rio and the return pump is a QuietOne 4000HH. The heater is a Jager 250w. The lighting is VHO (2) with an IceCap 430 Ballast and has a fan for the canopy.

I just ordered (2) new VHO AquaSun bulbs, my 2nd Koralia 1400 (were on sale actually cheaper than I got the first one on eBay, but only by $2), and a 200 gal box of salt mix.

I still need to find the pool sand and need to replace the PVC pieces the run from the return and appear to spray (have several holes in the pipes that run along the front of the tank). I read somewhere that someone else had done this to make more water movement. Does that sound right?

Also need to replace the flexible hose from the overflow outlet to the wet/dry and get new tubing that runs from the return pump to the tank. Will also pick up a trim piece for the bottom of the stand where we had to do some repair.

So live rock is in tub of saltwater with light, PH and pump. Should I do a PWC for the live rock?

Just waiting on the Micro Mesh and Polish to arrive to start sanding and polishing the tank. Will also pick up a container for the RO/DI water and start making that. What do others use for a container to mix and store water? I also ordered a float valve so it would automatically shut off when full. I want to look into making an ATO also. That would need to run from the RO/DI unit so may not be able to do that.

I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow. Any and all feedback/advice is welcome.

Keimaxbode is offline   Reply With Quote

100g, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com