100G Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keimaxbode

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just purchased a 60 x 18 x 20 Clarity Plus Acrylic tank. It was supposed to be a 125 but according to the size charts I found on-line, the measurements make it a 100 instead.

It came with stand, canopy, 2 x white daylight VHO lights, wet/dry trickle filter with bio-balls, skimmer - can't determine brand but looks very basic and needs repair so not even sure it will run yet, 250w heater that is in the filter, overflow feeds through the bottom of the tank, 1 small (very small) power head, lots of miscellaneous supplies, two saltwater books, about 50+lbs of live rock and another 50+lbs of dry rock that had been removed from the tank and stored (didn't appear to have been cleaned before it dryed out) and the pvc connected to the return went to and along the bottom of the tank under the sand, which we did not take with us (the old sand that is)????

So far, we have placed the live rock in a tub of saltwater with a pump and the small power head and a light over it. I don't have an extra heater to put in it. I couldn't get the one out of the filter (??) Have rinsed out all of the old sand, wiped down the tank and used a credit card to remove algae. Tank is dry and in my house for scratch repair. I plan to purchase pool sand for substrate. I have aragonite in my 29 and play sand in my 55 right now and don't care for the play sand. I've read that the pool sand is coarser and whiter but haven't found it yet. I was planning to check the pool supplier stores last if I can't find it elsewhere cheaper. Any suggestions?

I have ordered (2) Korelia 1400 power heads and an RO/DI system from Ebay. I also plan to order micro-mesh and Hut Ultra Gloss Plastic Polish for repairing scratches (not deep). Have rinsed out the filter and put bio-balls in saltwater - not sure if I'm going to use.

I have a 29G that has been running for almost a year and the last 6 months without any fish so has a nice population of pods so was thinking of turning that into a sump/refugium. Could I use both the wet/dry and the sump/refugium or just scrap the wet/dry once I talk my husband into converting the 29 into a sump per DIY instructions? I don't even know how all of this gets plumbed so will need a lot of help with that as well. I only have two dual output HOB's running on my 55 and an AquaClear on my 29. I plan to use my 55 for QT once the 100 is up and running because I had to treat with copper in it (I know another of my newbie mistakes). It is very old and in poor condition on metal stand (I paid $15) and think it was used for critters, not fish. My husband resealed before we set up so no great loss using it for QT and learned my lesson about needing a QT with both Ich and Velvet. Was fortunate to only lose one fish through it all, but was my favorite of course. Still have a Lemonpeel Angel, (2) Bangaii Cardinals, a B/W Occ. Clown and (3) Blue/Green Chromis, plus snails and crabs - lost my cleaner shrimp about a month ago :(. The other clown jumped :( or was pushed :(.

Any advice or good links to information on the scratch repair, sump and plumbing would be greatly appreciated. Also, I plan to replace the two VHO tubes and need advice on whether to get two more white daylight bulbs or one blue and one white and maybe a link to some cheap nighttime LED's to add. Would like to go with lighting that would allow me to try some mushrooms and other easy, low maintenance corals for beginners. I'm not even sure what VHO lighting is so need to research that also.

What is my next step with the live rock? Should I scrub it with a brush or will that remove the good stuff as well as the bad, and if so, how do I get rid of one and not the other? After that step, do I put back in clean saltwater with circulation and light and test daily to cycle?

I assume I need to scrub the dry rock with regular tap water then place in tub of bleach water and let it soak for a couple of days, then rinse several times in tap then finally soak in tap for several days - do I need to rinse and soak also in vinegar water or should I do that instead of bleach water? Then finally let dry in sun for several days? Do I then put this in with the live rock to cycle before putting in tank?

All input will be greatly appreciated. I have probably forgotten lots of issues so please add anything I've skipped. I will post pictures as soon as I can get a photo bucket account set-up (is that the easiest/best) and figure out how to link to the forum threads.

Thanks so much!! Really looking forward to getting this underway but lots of work ahead so reminding myself constantly to take my time and not take any crazy shortcuts. :nono:

-Diana

I was hoping to get to work on this live rock today, any advice would be greatly appreciated; also any feedback on any of the other questions in the main post most welcome! :confused:

Lots of ground to cover there. I'll only touch on the rock.
The 'live' rock that was removed from the tank and stored is now 'dead' rock - with lots of dead organic matter on it. You could scrub off the loose stuff if there is a lot of it - with a dry stiff brush. No need to go too crazy. Then rinse to get rid of the dust and put it in the tank to cycle. I'd just rinse with either RO water or salt mix, don't see a need for bleaching or vinegar, etc. The remaining organic matter will decay and become the ammonia source for your cycle.
Any idea how long it's been out of water?

- D

The dry rock has been out of the tank for about a year; however, I do have a tub of live rock that I moved with the tank last week and put in a tub of saltwater with flow and light. What do I need to do with it? It has a lot of growth on it.

Put it in too, it'll just help speed the cycle. You might want to inspect for anything you don't want like aiptasia, majano, green hair algae, etc. If there's any kind of corals then maybe a CoralRx dip (I'm specifically thinking of zoanthid eating nudibranch if there are any zoas on the rock). LR is both fun and troubling with regards to what you get with it!

- D

Where is the best place to find pictures of those things I want to get rid if? I don't know what it looks like. I've never had any of it in my current tanks as far as I know. I have only 1 strip light over each and got that live rock from a pet store. I don't think it had anything on it except a small sponge.

I received my RO/DI system yesterday but couldn't add the garden hose adapter, TDS meter and the float valve to it so am getting those separately. Have 1 Koralia 1400 powerhead ordered from Ebay. I'm trying to get a second one for the same price. No luck so far. Am I correct in that I will need at least 2 1400's for a 5ft x 18 x 20 tank, one on each end directed towards each other and up toward the surface? The tank has one overflow and return. I'm not sure what size the return pump is. I'll check that tomorrow and also take some pics to post.

I also ordered Hut Ultra Plastic Polish and Micro-Mesh Sanding Kit to repair the scratches on the acrylic. After researching, it appeared those were the products preferred for best results. Hopefully I can do it without screwing it up. We also have some repair to do to the stand and I need to order new bulbs. Right now there are 2- VHO White Actinic bulbs. When I replace them, should I replace with 2 white's again or 1 white and 1 blue or is there a combo bulb? Would 2 lights be strong enough for some mushrooms and a few other low maintenance corals?

Spent the day cleaning rock and hubby working on stand. Took several pictures so will work on posting to Photo Bucket and linking here. I have no idea what kind of protein skimmer came with the set-up. There is no information on it anywhere and hope someone will be able to ID it so I can find out how to set it up. It looks very basic, but I'm not sure if all of the parts are with it. It is a 600 Rio and the return pump is a QuietOne 4000HH. The heater is a Jager 250w. The lighting is VHO (2) with an IceCap 430 Ballast and has a fan for the canopy.

I just ordered (2) new VHO AquaSun bulbs, my 2nd Koralia 1400 (were on sale actually cheaper than I got the first one on eBay, but only by $2), and a 200 gal box of salt mix.

I still need to find the pool sand and need to replace the PVC pieces the run from the return and appear to spray (have several holes in the pipes that run along the front of the tank). I read somewhere that someone else had done this to make more water movement. Does that sound right?

Also need to replace the flexible hose from the overflow outlet to the wet/dry and get new tubing that runs from the return pump to the tank. Will also pick up a trim piece for the bottom of the stand where we had to do some repair.

So live rock is in tub of saltwater with light, PH and pump. Should I do a PWC for the live rock?

Just waiting on the Micro Mesh and Polish to arrive to start sanding and polishing the tank. Will also pick up a container for the RO/DI water and start making that. What do others use for a container to mix and store water? I also ordered a float valve so it would automatically shut off when full. I want to look into making an ATO also. That would need to run from the RO/DI unit so may not be able to do that.

I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow. Any and all feedback/advice is welcome.

Back
Top Bottom