10g Clownfish w/Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

figliaperduta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking at setting up a 10g tank (my first saltwater) with a pair of clownfish, an anemone, and live-rock. The actual thing is at least six months from happening, but I'd like to start planning well in advance so that I know what I need when the time comes, and am not scrambling around due to conflicting information as I am now.

The first thing I'd like to know is if, in addition to the live-rock (planning on having 10-15 lbs), I need any additional filtration.

Second, and this is the one on which I've heard really varying opinions, will I need a protein skimmer for a 10g? Honestly, half the people I've spoken to have said yes, definitely, and the other have said no, of course not.

Lastly (for now), what are some of the more hardy anemones, and their associated clownfish, that are suitable for a 10g? I had originally planned on Amphiprion ocellaris for my fish, but then I learned that their three associated anemones are all considered unsuitable for the aquarium: Heteractis magnifica, Stichodactyla gigantea, and S. mertensii.

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

I would suggest a power filter (hang on the back type) and a live sand bed as additional filteration. As far as the anemone goes, you have to make sure you have a good lighting system (3-5 watts per gallon). Anemones are really touchy to their water conditions, so they are usually added to takes months after the setup has taken place. Ask any other questions you have, this place is great!

Most, if not all, host anemones get way too big for a 10g tank. Anemones also need top notch stable water quality, 10g is much too small a tank to be considered stable. If anything starts to go even a little out of whack it's going to happen very quickly, IMO you would do better to consider a larger tank for an anemone.

I would recommend at least a 29 gallon tank for an anemenoe, even though i have seen the in 10 gallons/nanos. they quickly outgrow smaller tanks, and can grow to 16+ inches in diameter*.

My problem is that I am limited (by dormitory rules) to a tank of 10g or less. I know I would like to have at least one fish. Can anyone offer any other suggestions?

Bypass the anemone and get just a clownfish. You can also go with corals that won't get too large such as zooanthids, mushrooms, etc. You can make an awesome looking nano tank with no anemone, and clownfish don't 'need' it at all. As for a skimmer, it depends on what you want in your tank. I say its up to you. Some people have very successful tanks and have never run a skimmer. I needed a skimmer on my tank because I am using tap water of not so great quality. A powerhead is also a good addition for water flow, which any coral will appreciate.

HTH

Honestly just go with the one clownfish with a simple HOB power filter. Some anemones can be kept in a 10 gallon, for some time, but it's not worth buying expensive lighting for it. Some can survive under power compact lighting but most will need more of the VHO or metal halide lighting.

I have a simple set-up that I can post up here if you'd like, may be what your looking for. It's just simply 6 pounds of lr with a big piece of tufa rock, black tahitian moon sand, simple flourescent lighting, some snails, some hermits, one little clownfish, and a lot of macro (cheato) packed in the sides lol.

i would love u to post that here as i am looking to set up a very similiar tank with a single clown and a few crabs and snails. i was actually going to go with black tahitian moon sand aswell. would be a great help to me. thanks

If you have higher lighting you MAY get away with the bubble coral, not too sure on that one though. The leather I would skip in a small tank like a 10 gallon, eventually get pretty big.

WIll be posting apic of my tank in about less then an hour.

I'd get the two mated clowns and skip the anemone. Clowns don't need a host. Although, if wanted, other corals would work fine. What kind lighting do you have? I've heard of clowns hosting in frogspawn and torches among others.

sorry it's taken so ong but here's a quick pic: sorry about the quality of the photo heheheh

img_633418_0_3ca313c1a5e4893b30ecd26cfd1910f4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom