10g College Dorm Tank Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E1ric

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Everyone,

I want to start a 10g saltwater tank. I can't get a tank that's bigger than 10g. I would love to get a single clownfish but I am unsure of what else to get. I would love tank recommendations as this will be my first plunge into keeping an Aquarium.

I know I can't have more than a certain number of fish (estimate would be nice).

Different types of fish and things I would need would also be nice. I would like to minimize the cost as much as possible. Would like to get live plants and rocks to make it look natural etc.

Any and all help appreciated! Give me the run down!

My first sw tank was a 10 gallon and it so far has given me the least amount of issues out of the 4 sw tanks I've had! Now I kept it super simple for the 10 with a reef capable LED light, hob filter, live rock a small powerhead and using rodi water which is a must in a sw tank.

There's not really many plants that go in sw but there are a couple macro algaes that can look pretty cool. Look up halimeda, chaetomorpha, red dragon macroalgae just to name some.

If you want corals you will need a strong light which we can help you with once you hit that point. You'll also need about a lb per gallon of live/dry rock and sand.

bribo12,

Can you provide me with some more information on your 10g tank? would love an example! Links to products would be nice if possible to. I have no clue where to start. I know I need live sand and rock, obviously the tank. What heater / leds etc will i need and all of that i have no clue on. how much livestock do you have in it?

Sniperhank,

I have seen some youtube videos of people having 2 clowns and 2 other fish of some type?? I know there is overstocking but I would love to be able to have more then 2. perhaps 3-4 would be perfect for me I think. recommendations on small fish?

--

I appreciate all the replies so far! I am starting from scratch and I really love the way the tanks look. I looked into how the cycles work and from what I understand I need to setup the live sand and rock a month prior to adding livestock and I need to doing water changes during that month quite frequently (that is fine). However, after that month and once livestock is added how often do I have to do a water change? Also, ongoing costs would be nice. Obviously fish food but what else? I know I can "top-off" the aquarium using freshwater if it evaporates.

Keep in mind I started researching this project yesterday. I have never had an aquarium but I havent stopped researching since yesterday and have already learned a lot.

You'll want to do weekly water changes of 10%. This will be very important given the size and want to overstock.
When it comes to water, don't use tap. It contains a huge amount of unknowns, like how much fluoride, that aren't good for fish.

Honestly, to cycle your tank, id take a piece of cocktail shrimp and let it rot in there for about a month, just make sure all your liverock and sand are in there

Well I no longer have the 10, it's been upgraded into a 40 breeder now. However, I can provide some of the stuff I used to use on it.

I used the hydro koralia 425 gph powerhead on it as well as a aquaclear 20 I believe with phosguard and purigen in filter bags. I bought rodi water from my lfs and then mixed salt in it overnight with a powerhead for wcs. As far as heaters I've always used these http://www.petsmart.com/fish/suppli...rsible-aquarium-heater-16561.html?cgid=300016

Just a suggestion.... I love fish as much as the next person.... But in a 10 gallon the toxins could be hard to overcome (in my opinion not impossible, but hard).... Maybe look into only a clown and shrimp, or a Goby and shrimp for now... Then CORALS!!!

Thanks for the replies! I went to my local fish store today and then went online to look at Petsmart (we have one in town).

Anyways, I put a spreadsheet together to cost it out. I would love some suggestions on more products. I am not sure what else I might need. Should I get an RO / DI Unit to distil my own water from my dorm room sink? AquaticLife RO / DI Unit is pretty cheap. > 100.00

--

Note: Links to the products I chose are in order on the second page (exported spreadsheet as PDF, sorry for the formating)

Attachments

• Project - The Reef.pdf
    189.9 KB · Views: 15
Would you recommend I get one seeing as I will be stuck in my dorm room most of the time?

I went through the set up of my old 10g in my old thread. Search "operation clown goby rescue" or look for posts I've started and you should be able to find it no problem

Thanks' I will look into it. I could use some help on my list because I feel like I'm missing some things. Like how do you judge how much water to take out of the tank?

Thanks' I will look into it. I could use some help on my list because I feel like I'm missing some things. Like how do you judge how much water to take out of the tank?

List looks ok, you'll need a refractometer and an ro/di unit. And lighting will depend on wether your looking to keep photosynthetic creatures (coral, nems). I would do 2-3 gal wcs weekly, I got a small bucket from Petco that was marked by the gallon so that's what I used to drain the right amount

Is there a tool like a siringe or something. I need to monitor just scoping water out Cus it's a dorm
Room and I don't want to accidentally get to much water everywhere. Also 1 powerhead for the tank and 1 for mixing??

I used airline tubing and just started a siphon to drain. 2 phs in the tank are better than 1 as it makes a more random and natural flow pattern. And ya but a cheap one for mixing

Alright thanks. I will factor that in. Any specific product recommendations? Link me! I also need to learn how to do the water tests etc. still.

Double Post (sorry).

Here is the updated PDF. I think I have everything I need now? Only thing I can't seem to find some good examples of is the Light Fixture. I know they can get expensive fast but I also heard to not skimp out. I NEED to have something that attaches directly to the tank. I have been talking with my school and I think they might let me have a 15g tank. As soon as I know I will update my original post etc.

That said. I could use some lighting advice. Also thought on everything as a whole and if I am missing anything. Links are on the secondary page. (Exported from Excel)

Attachments

• Project - The Reef.pdf
    196.2 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom