Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-09-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
10g first time tank

Thinking about getting into saltwater, would a 10g tank be to small for someone who hasn't had salt water before?. I know that the larger the tank, in general the easier it is to take care of. Looking to have one or two small fish and a shrimp or two, maybe a starfish of some type, and cool/cold water would be best... any ideas? types of equipment that would be needed?

Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not a salty, but...this is my knowledge when I wanted to get my tank going before it was put on hold.

The bigger the tank the better, but ten gallons is good if you just have a fish and some inverts. Most people say gobies for that small, maybe a clownfish? IDK not a saltie. Cleaners and peppermint shrimp are what was reccomended to me. Starfish are supposed to be hard to take care of, but again I'm not a saltie. And cool/cold water fish are supposed to be hard to take care of also because they need special things, but again, not an expert, just saying what I've heard.

"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I would recommend a bigger than 10g tank for beginning sw. BUT if thats totally not possible then you could get some nano fish, I'd say two and some shrimp and inverts. I'd stay away from the starfish, they can be a challenging to care for and the tank would be kinda small.

As far as cool/cold water fish, I know they have them but havent tried to keep any yet.

Theres a sticky on this forum for equipment needed,

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank.

You wouldnt need a skimmer and a hob filter would be fine, such as an aquaclear 30 for instance.
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
I would start with a 55G or larger 10G would be way to much work for you to start off..
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
In what way would a 10G be more work? What more would you have to do?
tarpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
similar to a fw tank you have to be very attentive to the water make up, the bigger the tank the more buffer you have , say salt, a larger tank would have more of a buffer and not swing as badly from not enough to too much. I understand it will be more work, but a 10 is what I have to work with atm due to size, move and GF.

Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com