10g new conversion to sw log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a 10gallon tank that I want to make into a saltwater tank. Yes I know I'm limited on fish but that's okay with me. So to get started I have some questions!!!

1. What type of equipment will I need to run a sw tank?
2. What types of sw fish can I have for a 10g tank?
3. I'm new to sw and this will be my first tank so I need all the advice I can get.
4. NO put Downs allowed on this thread, so if its not related to this topic please DONT post here. I know a 10g sw tank will be hard due to small amount of water

Thanks in advance to everyone who helps

No I started on a 75g and then upgraded to the 150g. Its really the same thing just smaller and a little harder since your dealing with less water. Good Luck!!!!!!!!

I've have everything from a 4g pico to a 125g reef. :)

It is harder anda bit more time consuming to do a 10g and it does have it's limits as far as stocking. For instance I wouldnt put a pair of clowns in just a ten, but there are a ton of other option.

Lookie here

Nano Fish

Also here are some basic articles about starting up a sw tank.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/stock-list-and-tips-for-maintaining-your-sw-tank-73477.html
Cycle your salt tank

Hope that helps a bit!

Good luck let us know how you do!

Well I definitely want a pair of clowns (these are the nemo fish right) and I might want a anemone that they play in but what all equipment will I need for a 10g because right now its just a tank

Ahh you may run into an issue there. Sorry. :-(

A pair of clowns would require a 20g tank at best and the nem would require a super duper light fixture that I can tell you won't be cheap. It;s also best to add a nem to an established tank with absolutely pristine water.

You woudlnt need a skimmer on your 10g if you do your weekly water changes and don't overfeed. With a 10g you have to always be on the lookout for potential issues due to the small size. It can be done though.

You could prob have one clown and MAYBE 2 small nano fish.

Youll need live rock, sand, a heater and a hang on back filter would be fine for that size tank.

Lights are where it will make or break you. To have corals youll need a better than stock lighting fixture adn like I said for a anenome you will need even more light.

Oh dang well you know what. I have a 40g I might turn into a se tank. What would the equipment needs be then
And I prolly wont do corals or anemones for awhile so what r the lighting needs then

The same pretty much. I believe that a skimmer is optional at that tank size, again, as long as you take care to do weekly water changes of a decent size, don't overfeed and don't overstock.

The 40 would give you so many more options and would be easier to care for in my opinion.

You also have more lighting choices for a 36" tank on the cheaper side. Some will work for most easy and basic corals and then some. here is an example of the lighting thats on the cheap side but would be sufficient.

3Ft/4Bulbs fixture

The anenome would most likely need a more hi end fixture to keep it healthy and happy. BUT you can also add corals and they may host that instead. My clowns didnt like my nem but loved my elegance coral cause it was so flowy looking. Clowns have been know to host ANYTHING..powerheads, rocks, mushroom corals and anything else they decide on. But it's at best a 50 50 shot of them hosting anything.

I have a pair in my 125g and lots of corals but no hosting yet. BUT it can also take them awhile to do it too. It's not drop a clown in and a nem and boom they host. It does happen but is not the norm.

Is the 40g youre talking about a 40 breeder tank? Cause they are awesome in my opinion. Lots of tank real estate in them so you can have a decent rockscape too. Plus you could add a few other fish other than the clowns and they wouldnt have to be nano fish. :)

I had 5 fish in my 29g, granted they were all kinda small but the clowns but there was ample room for everyone to do their thing. I had some sand dwellers like a goby, a percher in my blenny and the rock hiding royal gramma. It's all a matter of what fish and their normal habitat. the clowns are my favorite as they explore and swim around constantly usually.

The only other equipment you'd need would be a refractometer for like $30, (much much more accurate than a $15 hydrometer swing arm salinity checker) and for sure a API liquid test kit. If you get heavy on tthe corals some other types of test kits might be necessary like calcium, alaklinity and magnesium. You also could still go with a hang on back filter, but it would have to be rated for over 40g. My personal favorites are the aquaclears. I just got a AC50 for $24 from amazon. Because of the height of the 40b (if thats what you got) I wouldnt think the AC70 would be too good of a fit since it goes quite deep into the tank, but you can always cut down the tube if you wanted to go with the 70.

A skimmer could be a decent hang on back as well if you decided you wanted one. But again, not a necessity imo on that size tank.

My 40g tank dimensions are 36x12x24 so I'm not sure what kind it is and I plan to start this when I move and also would a canister filter work for saltwater

Yep, a canister would work. I use one on my 55g. Just gotta be good about cleaning it out as nitrates can build up in there

And nope, jusr a 40g not a breeder. A 40B is 18" in width. But still, a 40g will really give you some more options.

Okay so I plan on getting a clown pair and would a tang or 2 work in a 40g

Was suppose to say tang bbut maybe a yellow tang and a blue tang

A pair of clowns in a 40g woudlw ork fine. And you can also add some other fish as well. Plus some inverts like shrimp, snails and crabs will be fine too. :)

Back
Top Bottom