Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia258
I'll look into the high light bulbs, but specifically cardinals, I want one or two and then some shrimp, stars, and the such, would that work?

That royal gramma fish is very pretty but the banghai cardinals would be my first choice
I'm sure there are low light corals that can be found for your tank. Are you using stack lighting but just replacing the bulbs? I just done know if Anemones will be able to survive in your tank though.

Usually people do at least two T5-HOs with one being Acintic Blue and the being 6500K like what you have.

I've never kept Bengali Cardinalfish so I may not be the best reference for them. As far as I've read it says 30g minimum. That's not saying it can't be done in a 10g. I'm not sure how active a singular one would be.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If you are going to to have a fish only tank with live rock and some shrimp and snails then the light bulbs that they sell at Petco will be fine. If you want corals or anemones then you will need a stronger lighting system, much stronger than the ones that Petco carries. A good website visit is www.liveaquaria.com.
Check out their nano fish section for a list of compatible fish for your 10 gallon(there really aren't that many). You can also do a search on this site with 10 gallon nano as the subject to find a ton of information on how to go about setting up a successful tank. That is how I got started with mine back in May and everything has been going well so far. Good luck!

1 10 gallon nano saltwater tank
msmonikatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh wow thank you!!! That'll be useful ^^
Old 09-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I just had those three to pick from I'd want the left and right ones but not the middle ones. Do you think I can get them cheaper at a local store? I am still considering the cardinal though, because only one may or may not work. Now that I have my ideas of fish down to four (fourth being that royal purple and yellow sucker) I'll start my homework now on to shrimp, stars, hermits, and snails. Maybe I'll consider a regular crab but it depends on comparability.

Is it possible to catch a wild crab and take it home to live in my tank? From rocky point in Mexico to be exact, one of the little red ones or the mellow black ones with giant claws would be fun
Old 09-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't get a royal gramma or a cardinal in a 10g. That cardinal will get about 3 inches full grown that's pretty bug for a 10g. Both of those fish need a 30g minimum. The fish that you posted pictures of at start of this thread will be fine in a 10g. You could do 2 Firefish or 2 dart fish. You could get maybe a sexy shrimp or 2? Those things are cute and funny!! There's several fish to choose from in nano section of liveaquaria.com.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 2 cardinals in my BC29 and they can get big.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3837916387.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	116176

They are pretty to look at and they ALWAYS stay together and out in the open which I like.

My 6 line just darts in and out of all the tiny caves and crevices I made in my tank.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yea he's right. That's what I wad getting at bit he explained it alot better. Good bulbs none the less just not for corals and anemones. As far as those bangai cardinals if you choose to get 2 make sure its a pair. Male and female. If not they will fight.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alrighty, cardinals seem a little out of the question, but how about that purple-ish long one in the pic at the beginning of my thread and then some small groups of the left and right pics of those fish in the more recently put up pic? In my mind that sounds safe, you guys approve? Yes? I hope you guys think that's good I want a cleaner shrimp and one of those blue shrimp too, anything else colorful that isn't a fish that I can bring into the tank? I'll grab some higher lights but I want a nemone and live rocks and live sand so ideas on that too?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your talking about the purple fire fish?

In a 10 gallon tank. I would look at nano fish. You can do a pair of yasha gobies with a pistol shrimp. Snails,emerald crabs, cleaner shrimp hermit crabs. Your pretty limited to fish BUT not to corals if you get the right light!

Corals will make the tank IMO.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
Your talking about the purple fire fish?

In a 10 gallon tank. I would look at nano fish. You can do a pair of yasha gobies with a pistol shrimp. Snails,emerald crabs, cleaner shrimp hermit crabs. Your pretty limited to fish BUT not to corals if you get the right light!

Corals will make the tank IMO.
Corals sound fun and my friend is gonna split two nems for me, so I'll need brighter lights. My lid sits on the tank itself and has a hole for the filter, so I'm not sure if I can really add more lights or just get brighter ones. It has sockets means for two incandescent bulbs and I've got those two fluorescents in there now

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, set up, tan, tank set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com