Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia258

Corals sound fun and my friend is gonna split two nems for me, so I'll need brighter lights. My lid sits on the tank itself and has a hole for the filter, so I'm not sure if I can really add more lights or just get brighter ones. It has sockets means for two incandescent bulbs and I've got those two fluorescents in there now
IMO your better off getting a new fixture. Your also gonna want some actinic in the mix. If you want a nem or two your gonna need better lights. If you don't your nem will not thrive, probably get sick and die.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...0&pcatid=23590

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=23753

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...0&pcatid=21460

These are some examples. Also check eBay and craigslist.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll do some research and see which would work better, for the lights I think there's a saltwater fish store I can get some great info and help, and cheaper prices than petco or petsmart. It's too bad that those two are my only resources for freshwater though —.—"" I have a healthy 40g freshwater though I was considering once these fish have all lived their lives out I might switch it to a saltwater, but then again I have lots of fish in there (don't worry they're all small like guppies and neons) sorry I got off subject.

On to another issue, I'd like to work on converting my freshwater filter to a saltwater one and I have no idea where to start. It's big enough to work on a 60g tank, and it's on the freshwater one right now (I'm switching to a canister today) so the HOB filter seems like it'd be a good idea on the salt tank if it'd work. Can you guys point me in the right direction of converting it over? And is it simple or like terribly hard?

As for the fish I was hoping maybe one of these guys:

Name:   image-1722503356.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  35.2 KB

And a small group of these guys:

Name:   image-4222748963.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  32.7 KB

Then a cleaner shrimp (the red and white one) and maybe a few other shrimp, then some of those green crabs mentioned before, and finally some starfish (brittle stars and a few regular stars)

Is it possible to take home hermit crabs or starfish from rocky point? That sounds fun

Old 09-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alrighty guys, I just did some shrimp research, and so here's a few of my ideas for grouping the shrimp:
1.) one of these

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1357767541.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	116241

And a group of these

Name:	image-2261923985.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	116240

2.) one of these

Name:	image-3170473342.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	116242

And a group of these

Name:	image-2261923985.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	116240

3.) or just a group of these

Name:	image-1357767541.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	116241

Cost will definitely be an issue, but I'd still like some input on the shrimp

As for snails I was thinking a group of these guys would be cool I've never seen them before!!!

Name:	image-365195233.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	116244
Old 09-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would suggest 2 fish max for your tank. Firefish are fine(I have a pair). I also have a peppermint shrimp and hermit crabs. That is a good starting point. After my tank had cycled for a month, I added my CUC's(the peppermint shrimp and the hermit). I added the fish 2 weeks later. I did the add slowly to allow the system to build up the proper amount of bacteria to be able to handle the additional bioload that each living thing produces. Remember, everything you do to your tank is amplified because of the small size of your tank. So you will need to move slowly and test often.
1 10 gallon nano saltwater tank
msmonikatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard from many people that their coral banded shrimp can be mean and kill things. In a small tank like this, I wouldn't risk a coral banded shrimp, no where for anyone to hide if he goes ballistic. The cleaner shrimp is so great, friendly, but can get a little big, mine has at least doubled in size in last 2 months and they have long antennae. The peppermint an fire shrimp are smaller, might be a better choice. Check out sexy shrimp, they are small and kinda wiggle their butts around (hence the name), and its cut to watch. But check compatibility if you get sexy shrimp cuz they are very small and some things will eat them. The snails look fine.
As for the fish, you're going to get different opinions from people on which fish will work in a 10g. Go to nano section of liveaquaria.com-all of those are appropriate for a 10g. I'm pretty sure the Firefish and dart fish that you wanted are in that section. You really should only get 2 fish though in a 10g. The Catalina goby is very pretty (the red one you showed pic of), but they do come from colder water and do best in water that's 60-70*. SW fish usually need 72-78*. Ive read that the Catalina have been kept in warmer tanks, but not ideal for them and I'm sure it shortens their life.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay so fish would be just one firefish goby and then possibly one Catalina (need to do some extra HW on that part) I think I might get that blood red shrimp and 3 or 4 peppermint shrimp then a few snails or so, of the spiny ones I showed you all. I really want the peppermints, and as for the blood red one, I want a shrimp that will help get rid of ich and diseases that could hurt my fish. And do they eat algae off the glass? I saw something like that but I don't know wether to believe it or not. Something to clean algae off the glass would be really great though
Old 09-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Astraea snails will clean algae off the glass
Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Those Catalina gobies need lower temperature than most other fish. That's the reason I never got one. Definitely need to check that out. Cold water fish

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I got just 2 Catalina's, or two firefish, would that work? And then add the rest of the critters later? Which pair would be better, hardier, and the such? Google doesn't specify about that :/
Old 09-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia258
If I got just 2 Catalina's, or two firefish, would that work? And then add the rest of the critters later? Which pair would be better, hardier, and the such? Google doesn't specify about that :/
I believe the Firefish will be hardier than the Catalina gobies. Firefish are also a lot easier to find in the store. 2 Firefish in there would be okay, I would get them out of the same tank so that you know they'll get along together.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, set up, tan, tank set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com