Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

10g Saltwater Tank Set Up

I want to start a 10g saltwater tank, I have a friend who will supply me with a few anemones, but I need help with the set up. I have a HOB freshwater filter (works up to a 60g tank) that I was thinking of using on it if it's convertible to make a freshwater filter into a saltwater one. I'd also love any suggestions on fish, decorations, color of sand, brands that work best, and tips and the such. I want some rocks and a shrimp or two, and along with that I want either a solitary fish that would live its life healthily in the 10g or a few schooling fish that'll stay small. Any suggestions or ideas? My knowledge is very minimal on saltwater, but I'd love to give it a try! I have been told that a smaller tank is harder to balance the salt, but I feel up to it. So anyone who thinks they can help me out here, I am in serious need of knowledge!!! I thank in advance ^^

Old 09-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was thinking maybe one of these fish might be small enough to be in the 10g, with about 5in being the largest. Opinions? Someone please help me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1875241954.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	116120

A few damsels also seem doable in the tank. Or maybe a single anemone fish (clownfish) the two chromis Chromis lineata and Chromis retrofasciata sound small enough to fit

Old 09-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

My friend has a nice 10g all he has is 1 clown, a goby and pistol shrimp. The nem would depend on what type of lighting your going to use. Like a T5 HO 4 bulb fixture, LED's like the AI or 2 Par30 or Par38 bulbs.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/sol/

http://ledtric.myshopify.com/product...18w-reeflamp-1

http://www.boostled.com/products/par30-reef-lamps

Just a few light ideas.

Also you'll need a power head or 2. Koralia makes a nice power head the nano's either the 240 or 425.

You'll need some live rock and sand. I went with all live rock and all live sand in my bio cube.

Here's a few pics of my friends 10 gallon with 2 par 30's and a aquaclear 110 HOB filter.

Name:	image-914244501.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	116124

Name:	image-2042860918.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	116125

Oh and damsels are VERY aggressive so to let ya know. I had to re home both mine. There feisty for little guys. I'd stay away from them if it were me.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I already have bright daylight fluorescent lights... Can you give me details on the rest? And can I convert my freshwater filter to a saltwater tank?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia258
I already have bright daylight fluorescent lights... Can you give me details on the rest? And can I convert my freshwater filter to a saltwater tank?
What kind of lights? I there a brand name? You'll want what's called actinic which is a blue. You need to find the wattage of the bulbs. How many bulbs does the fixture hold?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/lighti...ent/bulbs.html

And yes you can turn a freshwater filter into a saltwater filter. It's not set in stone what a filter can be used for. My friend uses this one.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/aquaclea...filter-110-gal

The tank is doing just fine.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 09-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also have you YouTube 10 gallon saltwater tanks? There are some sweet ones out there.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Anemones need very strong lighting. And even a single ocellaris clownfish (the smallest of clownfish) require 30gallon minimum. Hey convict are you sure that's a 10g in that pic. Looks bigger. Like a 20 or 30gallon. Your fish are pretty limited in a 10 gallon. One of those dartfish would do great. You mentioned shrimp too. Maybe consider a pistol shrimp and shrimp goby pair. They live together in the same burrow and are awesome to watch! I would definitely get more info on the anemone that you would get. There are manor fish out there too if you wanted to get a few to put in there. Gobies and dartfish are some of these. Clown gobys are really small.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I guess it could be a 10 gallon just looks big I guess. Alot going on in that tank u guess but it is a beauty.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

In the fish I'm looking for either small schooling or a larger solitary fish. Either way I want it attractive to the eye, and compatible with cleaner shrimp or those blue shrimps. The anemones I'm getting from a friend and one is a group of very small dark brown anemones on a small rock, and he's gonna split another anemone for me (he says I can keep splitting it and make money for my tank that way) the lid holds two bulbs and they're by zoo med, 6500K super daylight ballasted compact fluorescent lamp lights, and it says it's great for nano tanks, marine aquariums, planted tanks, community tanks, and hermit crab tanks. Here's a pic of the front and back of the box:

Name:	image-3591743599.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	116136

Name:	image-804331493.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	116137

I also wanted a few brittle starfish and hermit crabs and sea snails, if possible. The most important thing is that the maintenance on the inhabitants doesn't cost too much (frozen food and that sort of thing are easy enough) and I want then all to be attractive to the eye and colorful.

Live rock and live sand also sound fun, but I want to keep the rock to a minimum, and only allow it to take up a max of 1/5 of my tank space or less.

And one more thing, I was also looking at the bangai cardinal fish, and I really want it if it's possible
Old 09-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87
I guess it could be a 10 gallon just looks big I guess. Alot going on in that tank u guess but it is a beauty.
Yeah I know for a fact it is. I pick up the tank for him when petco had that dollar a gallon sale. I know the clown shouldn't be there but... Not my tank kinda thing ya know? He wanted it so...

I think he did a good job for a 10 gallon and it's kinda of funny because nobody thinks it's a 10 gallon lol. Maybe the angle he took the pics?

Corals are doing really well with the 2 Par30's from BoostLED.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, set up, tan, tank set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com