110 Gallon Newbie questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nugget6476

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

After some years of doing only freshwater I am about to start up a 110 gallon reef aquarium that's arriving in a few weeks :) I have been doing a heap of research the past 6 months trying to learn as much as I can before I start.

the tanks dimension are 132cm x 52cm x 60cm, and it comes with a protein skimmer, sump and moray 3600 return pump and 4 - 54watt T5 bulbs

I am going to do 40kg of dry rock, so to try not to have any unwanted critters, and seed the rock by having a few pieces of live rock. I also have a bag of 25kg 4mm aragonite and a 25kg bag of sugar sand size aragonite.

I am really keen on the coral and looking to do Zoanthids, LPS and Soft coral, with maybe an anemone, starfish and urchin to start with.

Fish I am thinking 6 Blue/green chromis, a pair of ocelaris clowns or percula, a blue and yellow tang, royal gramma, a blenny, 2 bangaii cardinals, and maybe a few reef safe wrasses

These are the questions that I cant find definitive answers for online, people have lots of different opinions :

Can I fishless cycle the tank with pure ammonia like I have all my other freshwater aquariums?, and also can I cycle it with just RO water, do a large water change then add the salt to the cycled tank ready for fish and coral, or is the salt necessary in the cycle?....just seems a waste to mix up the salt water just to cycle only to drain it all out,....and when here its $160 for 20kg of salt I hope I can do it that way.

Which should I use out of the 4mm Aragonite and sugar sand size? I really like the sugar sand size, would this be better that the larger gravel size Aragonite or would it get blown around too much?

What size power heads should I get? I got recommended to buy 2 of these :
Aquael Reef Circulator 2600 | Majestic Aquariums
Would 2 of these along with the 3600 return pump be enough flow for what I would need in my tank?

Will it be ok to keep the yellow and blue tang in my tank?, I read in lots of forums that they need really big tanks, but would it be ok? or maybe just grow them up in my tank then if they get too large trade them into the fish shop (if I had to) and get another small one.

How often and how much water should I change? is 10 to 15% per week what most people do? or can you do it once every 2 weeks or something?

And this is probably a silly question but when you buy a coral from the shop do you just sit it where you want it, or do you need to glue it? or take it off its little rock and glue it?.

Thanks

Yes to the fish less cycle, not sure about not using salt water! You don't need to drain all the water at the end of the cycle!

Smaller size sand if prefurred bigger aggro gate will allow debris to fall into the sand!

I have to small of a tank for tangs so I am not going to say anything!

10-15% is great weekly! Biweekly is fine if your bio load is not to harsh and you do t have to heavily packed with coral!

I usually leave it on the plug till it is acclimated and I know where it is going, then I mount it to some fossilized coral I have( I have glued some directly to live rock as well!

Thanks heaps :) that has re assured me a lot more, and if I don't need to do a huge water change at the end of the cycle then I will make sure to cycle with my salt haha :p

I am intersted to see other opinions on cycling without water!

Also the lights you mentioned won't be enough for a nem!
You also did not mention a sump, this will help control the bio load and take equipment out of the dt!

I did not mean cycle without water lol, I meant cycling the RO water, then doing the large water change like a freshwater tank, then adding the mixed saltwater to the cycled tank (I' m only asking because of saving costs on the initial salt) as I thought you needed to do a big water change after the cycle, then I would have to spend another 160 on salt after draining all that cycled salt water....and I don't know if its different bacteria that grow using saltwater compared to fresh, If that makes sense.....you say I wont need to do the big water change so I will just use the salt water and there's no worries haha, unless someone else had a different opinion on this

Ha I ment to say without salt water:) you will
Need to do a large water change but no more then 50%

Ah I see, well I hope to add on an extra LED fixture to help add to the lighting in the future, I might wait until later when I get that for an anemone then.

You can't cycle with fw. That would kill all the beneficial bacteria and life on your rocks. A sw tank requires sw to function. Otherwise you're just cycling a fw tank

I am using dry live rock to cycle not live rock, so there is no beneficial bacteria on it yet, I do realise if I tried cycling something that has been living in saltwater with fresh I would kill it :p but yea I will use the saltwater anyway

Yes definitely cycle with saltwater. Also I think that return pump is way too big, unless you mean 3200 liters per hour which is something like 900 gph which would be fine. The link to the powerheads only pulls up the store page, not the actual powerheads but I would shoot for 30 x tank volume which is 3300 gph.

Yea its 3600 litres per hour sorry, we mainly use litres here in Australia. Oh well they are called Aquael Reef Circulator power heads which are 2600 litres per hour each, so does that mean I have 8800 litres per hour flow in my tank?, and 30 times 400 is 12000 so I am a bit under that. Do I need bigger power heads? or will that be ok? Where is the best place to put them in the tank? opposite corners aiming up a bit at each other? I would obviously love the Tunze or those Votech ones so I can do random flow....but that's out of my price range at the moment.

That would be fine you can always add more later. Another option to look at is the jaebo wp40 they go up to 2000 gph and create random flow. I just added one and am very happy with the flow one negative is it's rather large.

As for your tang question most people say they need 6 feet wide minimum but a lot of people put yellow tangs in 4 ft tanks. I would not attempt the blue, however. I would recommend you do a kole and/or tomini tang as the yellows are difficult to keep alive even for experienced aquarists.

Back
Top Bottom