120 gal Reef start up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hummerguy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm winding down my fresh water and getting ready for a reef by Jan 2005. I am very mechanical inclined so I'm up for the creative filtration. Lets start with Protein Skimmers is bigger better??

Tony :D

For a 120 you do not need a very big one. I think efficiency is better than size. People like the Aqua C's, personally I have a Aqua Medic Turboflotor on my 150 and it works great.

I look fwd to seeing your project come together, Good Luck

Yeah post pics as you go. Thoes are always fun to see exspecialy when people are building stuff there self. Thats right up my alley!

to make a skimmer is very very easy ! imo anyone can do it !! ive made a few myself !
imo bigger is better somewhat but being efficient is more important !! i made mine using a beckett injector which works great but take alot of pump power to run it ! were if you bought the aqua-c 140 for that tank will cost you around $500 ! but less pump power to run ! and that design is easily copied :)

Bigger is not better, Like SS says beign efficient in most important. You will get a lot of different answers on this. Good luck keeping them straight.
I use the Reef Devil on my 125 reef and 55 fowlr and it works very well on both.

Here are some pics of what I currently have. The 120 is built into the wall however if you notice the back of the tank I have very little room for a filter system. To solve this I can PVC a few lines from the tank to a remote location for more space. My house was built in 1908 and I'm on a crawl space thus I can run lines from the tank through the floor, 4 feet to the right I can come back into a closet under a stairwell that will give me plenty of working room for plumbing and electrical. Keep inputting Ideas filter wise I've been reeding allot and want some honest opinions. Also with a remote set up I'm thinking about a "quiet one" pump but how much should I circulate the water??? Boy I have so many questions...
Tony

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/heartopine/album?.dir=/154d

guys in my reef club use the Iwaki pump for there return. My friend has his sump in the basement and the Iwaki has plenty of power to get the water back up to the tank. They say the japanese made pump is quieter then the american made one.
You should either have the tank overflows drill into the tank or get an overflow box if you cant get it drilled. IMO drilled is better.
What type of lighting are you thinking about. Any idea on sump design?
superskimmer.com will give you ideas on sumps and skimmers. If you got room you can use a fish tank converted into a sump to save money.

Back
Top Bottom