120 gal setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
im planning to set up a new 120 gal tank and wanted to see what you all think about the setup. any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tank 120 gal(48 ½ x 24 ¼ x 25 ½) Built in overflow right side
Stand and Canopy (Black, Halide Canopy)
Lighting:
Metal Halide 400w Ballast retro kit (Blue Wave or Ice Cap)
Metal Halide 400w 20k Coralife bulb
Metal Halide 250w Dual Ballast retro kit (Blue Wave or Ice Cap)
Metal Halide 250w 10k Hamilton bulbs x2
Moon Lights x4
Sump (40 gal)
Skimmer (ASM G1x or G2)
Pump (Little Giant 4-MDQX-SC)
Heater (300 Watt Via Aqua Titanium Heater)
Sand (250 lbs)
Live Rock (170 lbs)

Does this sound about right??

thanks a lot

fwiw, I had a Little giant pump and it was VERY loud. I might recommend going with another brand. I am very please with the Quiet One pump, but there are others to choose from I'm sure.

Just my opinion,
Jim

I just setup my 120.

120AGA w/ dual overflows
2x 250W MH 20K
2X T5s
Aqua C EV180 w/ Mag7
Returns were supposed to be a pair of Mag9.5s, that created to much flow in the sump and created microbubbles, cut it down to a single. Looking into using the second for a closed loop.
3 MaxiJet 1200s

160Lbs LR from LR.com
160Lbs Southdown

TANK.JPG

I'm happy with the equipment. I plan to get some more LR, I don't think the tank is "filled" with the 160lbs.

has anyone ever used one of these heaters? someone told me they arent reliable. whats a good titanium heater to use?

thanks for the suggestions. sevise, what size sump are you using?

I am using a single 9.5 right now. I had alot of problems with it blowing sand around the tank. Even with the outlet pointing across the tank and nearly horizontal it would blow the sand around. I ended up splitting it up between 2 outlets.

I have a 250Watt titanium heater, not sure on the brand.

Back
Top Bottom